This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

YAGP: Ballet Internationale

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 08:15 PM

The Clara R. Noyes Academy of Ballet Internationale, under the direction of Vladilen Semenov and VP Clark Blakely, took top prizes at the YAGP regional competition in Chicago. The Academy won Most Outstanding School, Best Ensemble, and Best Teacher Tatiana Pali. Student, Tuesday Perry, took top prize at the age of 15 in the senior competition for Ballet and 3rd prize for contemporary. Emily Momberg placed Top 12 in the Junior Division.

#2 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 07:30 AM

Thank you for this report, stringer784. The Noyes Academy is yet another relatively new, pre-professional ballet academy in the USA with roots in St. Petersburg & the Vaganova System. Yet again, we see that Vaganova-system-trained students have outstanding results in competitions...not that students trained in the French, Danish, Chinese (again, Vaganova-inspired) & other systems have not done well in garnering medals at the big IBCs during the past decade!

re. Vladilen Semenov: Is he now a full-time resident of Indiana-USA or is he still dividing his time between Indiana & Russia? I seem to remember seeing him at a Vaganova Academy graduation fairly recently ('02 or '03 edition).

#3 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:19 PM

I think you are mistaken about seeing Vladilen Semenov at the 2003 graduation. He is on full time here at Ballet Internationale. He is a full time Ballet Master and teacher for the top level in the academy. However, he did visit St. Petersburg during the Christmas Holiday I believe.

#4 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 08:44 PM

Is Semenov still married to Irina Kolpakova?

#5 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:01 AM

It must have been 2002. So he is full-time in Indiana, it seems.

Mel, I haven't heard otherwise. [Don't want to enter into the realm of gossip; honestly, though, I have heard nothing.] For a long time, they've had to be apart from one another for long stretches of time, due to work -- she at ABT, he in St Pete...now Indiana, it seems. For some reason, that doesn't seem so odd to me; I mean, I can relate (& sympathize) with that...but I can see why any couple would try really hard to end the long cross-ocean commutes. This gets to be a DRAG after a while!

#6 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 09:12 AM

Still quite married, they are :yes: !

#7 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 02:23 PM

Not sure where you heard that gossip about them not being together. Irina divides her time between Indy and NY. As of now, she is in New York and should be coming back for the staging of Sleeping Beauty for our season closer. Then we are off to Taiwan! We will spend two weeks there performing Sleeping Beauty, Eldar Aliev's A Thousand and One Nights, Carmen and Eldar Aliev's Firebird. It is sure to be a good time.

#8 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 03:54 PM

WHAT gossip? :dry: That was my own original question, as it occurred to me that the two have been de facto "not together" for quite a few years now. But since your response in denial has been so strong, it may do far more to stoke the rumor mill than my query. :)

#9 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 04:14 PM

Didn't mean to start a fight. I guess my tone should have been a little nicer after looking back at what I wrote. Sorry. Ooops!

#10 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 04:22 PM

OK, accepted, and I apologize, as I read what I wrote and realize it was "too hot".

#11 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 02:09 PM

Here's what could be called a "dumb" question: Is this the same YAGP that has been around for serveral years? I'm guessing it must be and that since they had so many non American competitors last year, that they've changed their name?

#12 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 02:14 PM

BW, I'm sure YAGP is the same -- Ballet Internatinale is an American ballet company (run by a former Kirov dancer, with many Russian connections) located in Indianapolis. I think the poster who started the thread wanted to call attention to the fact that Ballet Internationale's school had won a prize at the competition.

#13 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 02:20 PM

Yup!

#14 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 28 April 2004 - 06:51 AM

Congratulations to Puanani Brown for taking top prize at the YAGP recently held in NYC.WBS and Victoria Leigh must be credited for her success.
Joe

#15 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 05:24 AM

Thank you, Joe :flowers: We are all very proud of her!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):