This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

TV Lovers & Haters?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 07:46 PM

i don't know WHAT's been going on with my computer, because after i posted this thread the other day, it appeared that i had lost it...i went in to edit it and it wasn't there...not anywhere.

and there are plenty of other 'new' threads i am seeing today, that i haven't been able to 'get' over the last week - even though, from the dates, i can see that they WERE there.

actually: the penny has dropped. i HAVE just realised WHY this happened to me - so now will try to get around that problem, in future. (it's a long story...)

anyway, i am glad that i didn't lose it, and glad to see people have been responding. and, after the first few posts from people who feel very differently...very pleased to see that i am not a total freak. farrell fan, victoria, carbro and amandaNYC: thanks for understanding!

BW - i too miss john thaw *&* inspector morse, as if he(they) had been a very good neighbour... shame he died so soon (both).

#17 Ed Waffle

Ed Waffle

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 10:08 PM

Originally posted by grace

BW - i too miss john thaw *&* inspector morse, as if he(they) had been a very good neighbour... shame he died so soon (both).

I think I have read all the Inspector Morse books published but haven't seen any of the television shows.

It must have been difficult to dramatize the books successfully, but probably well worth it. I have seen pictures of John Thaw and he looks like Endeavor Morse would look.

The city of Oxford plays an important role, as does eating and drinking. There is plenty of both in, I think, each of the books. Part of it is to show class differences, part to have a setting for Morse and Sgt. Lewis to discuss the case, part to show Morse as a tightwad, Lewis as a decent sort.

If one were to chart the amount of alchohol that Morse consumes, it might show that he was at least half drunk most of the time. He is often at pubs when they open and more often when they close.

One vignette that I recall very clearly (although I can't think of the book it was in) was a night that Morse had a ticket to the opera. It was a catalog of everything that could go wrong. It was his favorite, Die Walkure. Neither the soprano singing Seiglinda and the tenor singing Siegmund were well suited for thier roles, although this often happens in Wagner.

However, Morse was also surrounded by the seatmates from Hell.
On one side was an enormously fat man who arrived just as the lights went down. He laboriously removed his coat and his vest, managing to poke Morse with an elbow several time. He also wheezed audibly On the other side was a woman with a full score that she was following with a flashlight--the score would have been about 500 pages long. Behind him was a person unwrapping, one by one, a large box of candy.

He stayed at the bar after the first act, then went how to put on a recording--the Solti one, I think.

That is the type of thing that could be very well done on TV.

#18 Kate B

Kate B

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 01:17 AM

...But then, Ed, I didn't need a TV or even have to read the book to paint an amusing picture in my head with that little tale!;)

#19 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 05:13 AM

ed, i have avoided the books BECAUSE the TV series was SO well-done, that i didn't want the images from the book to compete with the images i already have.

you're right that the city of oxford plays a large part, as does the milieu of academia, and the english countryside, and also, serious MUSIC...

ed, i hope that, if you see any of these, you enjoy them.

#20 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 05:43 AM

Oh, Ed - what an episode! There's another one I've missed...they must have used it in the television series, I'd think.

OK, I'm going to make a summer reading decision...after The Da Vinci Code!

Did you all ever see John Thaw in that wonderful tv/film version of A Year in Provence?

#21 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 06:09 AM

Have any of you John Thaw fans seen Kavanaugh, QC, which is sometimes shown on public television? He plays a lawyer who frequently takes unpopular (or, at least, low-paying) criminal cases. Each 90-minute episode is a complete story. They vary in quality, but can be very good. One of the best things in it is a colleague of Kavanaugh's (played by Nicholas Jones, brother of Gemma) who is a pompous, ambitious snob. He's the comic relief.

#22 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 06:46 AM

no - i haven't. but i think i've seen it advertised, so i'll keep an eye out for it. :)

BW - yes - i think i recall seeing that, too!

#23 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 05:04 PM

Yes, Ari, I've seen that one, too...though, again, not all. At first it was hard for me to see Morse in that new role, but I got used to it and enjoyed it, too. Hmm, seems to me that I tend to go for the BBC sorts of productions, eh? On the whole, I have to admit I've always thought they were much, much better.

My other favorite series was truly Prime Suspect - grisly in parts, but excellent. Helen Mirren! As an aside, have any of you ever seen a movie called "When the Whales Came" - it's with Helen Mirren, but quite a number of year ago...and Paul Scofield. If not, I urge you to look for it. I'll see if I can find more on it on the Internet... I'm not sure my description could do it justice. Narwhals figure in it. :P

#24 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 07:10 PM

BW - "BBC sorts of productions": i know what you mean, and you are right that it IS a BBC "sort" but i THINK it was ITN: 'same diff' ! ;)

you have reminded me of a COMPLETELY different subject, which ought to be a new thread...so i'll go and make one, for the new zealand movie, Whale Rider.

#25 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 01:36 PM

One of our, um, er, four TVs is often on. We're trying to wean our youngest daughter, who is unhealthily addicted. The rest of us watch our favorite shows (West Wing, ER, Friends) and not a whole lot more.

Hubby is in the TV business -- he works with producers and networks to improve the quality of children's programming -- so the love/hate question is viewed as a false dichotomy in our house. We talk more in terms of what one likes/hates, and why, and how come there can't be more to love on the air?

BTW -- hooking up a DVD player to an old TV is not as simple as you might think, Ari, but neither is it as impossible as you might believe, Ed. I speak from experience, as our main set is older than yours (early '80s). You need to get a kind of a junction box, about $40 at Radio Shack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):