This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Rebellion at Houston?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 LMCtech

LMCtech

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 02:52 PM

I heard through the grapevine today the the dancers at Houston Ballet are not happy with their new leader. Has there been any comments on this in the Houston/ Texas press?

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 02:57 PM

I haven't read anything in the press -- perhaps someone else has?

I did want to put up a brief caution. LMCTech's question is absolutely within bounds, but I'd like to be sure to limit the discussion of this question to PUBLISHED reports, rather than grapevine ones.

#3 boydancer05

boydancer05

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 08:27 PM

There are some who aren't happy and some who are thrilled. Alot of them are trying it out to see how it goes.

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 09:44 PM

A sensible attitude, it seems to me.

#5 BluebirdMom

BluebirdMom

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 08:15 AM

Can anyone enlighten us as to what likely adjustments Mr. Welch will make, things he will look for, changes he might make?

#6 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 10:21 AM

I'm sure there will be changes of some sort, but from reports and interviews published so far, and the statements of the Houston board, the reason they chose Welch is so that there would NOT be changes. They want to continue as things are, apparently -- keep Stevenson's ballets in repertory, and continue a commitment to full-length story ballets. I'm sure there will be differences, but it sounds as though the intention is to retain the framework.

#7 LMCtech

LMCtech

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 12:56 PM

Have there been any reports of dancers or staff being let go? I have heard blessed little from Houston and was hoping that heralded a smooth transition.

#8 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 01:11 PM

I have seen no news reports of changes -- staff being let go, etc.

#9 sissonne

sissonne

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 12:54 PM

Haven't heard of anyone being let go or even leaving willingly for that matter, speaking of staff in addition to dancers. There's been some restructuring on the academy side, but nothing major...some positions added, etc. As for the artistic side, I've heard nothing to indicate displeasure and haven't seen any major changes in staff, but will watch as we approach July when the change in AD officially takes place.

As for the new season, quite a few things we haven't seen, and frankly, I like the new season. Houston tends to be rather conservative in taste as far as the ballet patrons go, however, I think there's a much wider audience to be reached and this may be the beginning of that.

Haven't been around much in the past several months (wow...I even show as a "new memeber"!). Hope everyone is well. I'll try to keep you all better updated on the goings-on in Houston.;)

#10 LMCtech

LMCtech

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the info! Keep us posted!

#11 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 06:44 PM

Good to see you again, sissone. I hope you will stick around and report on what you're seeing in Houston. It's an important company, and I'm sure there are people here who want to know what's going on there.

#12 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 03:28 AM

thanks sissone. i THOUGHT welch didn't officially take over till july - but i wasn't sure enough to say it. glad YOU did. :D

#13 sissonne

sissonne

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 11:47 AM

Alexandra, thanks so much for the welcome back. I promise to be around more. Miss you all terribly. After the collapse of my former employer I've not been able to justify the expense of classes and season tickets, thus anything ballet-related was near torturous for me, though I would come in and lurk on occasion. I miss it all so very much.

LMCtech, promise to keep the info coming from Houston! I'm anxious to see our new AD's contributions to our company.

Grace, you were correct....Stanton Welch officially arrives in the beginning of July, though he will be in during company auditions before then as well as I've heard from within.

Will keep my ear to the ground and keep you all informed on the goings-on here.

#14 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 03:59 PM

I'm sure there will be changes of some sort, but from reports and interviews published so far, and the statements of the Houston board, the reason they chose Welch is so that there would NOT be changes.  They want to continue as things are, apparently -- keep Stevenson's ballets in repertory, and continue a commitment to full-length story ballets.  I'm sure there will be differences, but it sounds as though the intention is to retain the framework.

I was browsing through old threads on Houston Ballet and came upon this one again. All I can say to that now is this: Ha. I wish.

#15 Alina

Alina

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:14 PM

I have NEVER seen a take over of the artistic side of a company where there are no changes. The Artistic Director has to have the support from the Board for he or she to have some ability to put their imprint on the company. The Board may select an AD with similar vision but it is not fair to expect a carbon copy. It is 9 times out of 10 painful for some folks involved. Change is hard but in my experience usually is positive. But of course there are those exceptions where an AD has ruined a good thing! A year or two of adjustment is usually necessary before it is fair to judge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):