This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Royal Ballet 2024-2025 season

The Royal Ballet just announced their 2024-2025 season. Wondering if Wayne McGregor's new ballet "Maddadam" or Wheeldon's "Ballet to Broadway" will turn up at ABT in a couple of years.

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events?event-type=ballet-and-dance&booking-season=winter-2425,autumn-2425,spring-2425,summer-2425

ALICE’S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND

28 SEPTEMBER 2024–6 JULY 2025
Tumble down the rabbit hole in this ballet adaptation of Lewis Carroll’s famous family story.

ENCOUNTERS: FOUR CONTEMPORARY BALLETS

22 OCTOBER–16 NOVEMBER 2024
Four 21st-century choreographers. Four bold explorations of movement.

LEGACY

29–31 OCTOBER 2024
A celebration of Black and Brown excellence in ballet.

BALLET BLACK: HEROES

7–10 NOVEMBER 2024
A dynamic mixed programme by a company at the forefront of change.
MADDADDAM
14–30 NOVEMBER 2024
Margaret Atwood’s dystopian epic of annihilation and survival is transformed into a visionary new ballet by Wayne McGregor.

RUINATION

2 DECEMBER 2024–4 JANUARY 2025
Dance theatre company Lost Dog reimagines the Greek myth of Medea.

CINDERELLA

3 DECEMBER 2024–25 JANUARY 2025
This Christmas, be transported into an ethereal world where a sprinkling of fairy dust makes dreams come true.
ONEGIN
22 JANUARY–12 JUNE 2025
A bittersweet ballet of first love and regret.

THREE SHORT BALLETS

28–31 JANUARY 2025
Dip your toes into three short works by Northern Ballet.

PHAEDRA + MINOTAUR

6–11 FEBRUARY 2025
The Royal Opera and The Royal Ballet join forces to present two mythic tales.

FOLCLOR

15–20 FEBRUARY 2025
Acosta Danza brings the infectious energy of Cuba in their return to the Linbury Theatre.

LIGHT OF PASSAGE

20 FEBRUARY–12 MARCH 2025
A ballet that cuts to the heart of the human condition.

ROMEO AND JULIET

4 MARCH–26 MAY 2025
The greatest love story ever told – through ballet.

BALANCHINE: THREE SIGNATURE WORKS

28 MARCH–8 APRIL 2025
Sensuous and shimmering beauty in three works by the man who defined American ballet.

BALLET TO BROADWAY: WHEELDON WORKS

9–27 MAY 2025
Sensuous contemporary ballet meets the energy of musical theatre in four distinctive short works.

1 hour ago, California said:

Wondering if Wayne McGregor's new ballet "Maddadam" or Wheeldon's "Ballet to Broadway" will turn up at ABT in a couple of years.

Maddaddam was a co-production with the National Ballet of Canada, which premiered it in November 2022, so probably not. It's also a weak work, although no doubt McGregor will tweak it before London critics have an chance to savage it, which they would in its original state.

Edited by volcanohunter

The Wheeldon night is largely a rehash of old works.  Fools Gold has been presented numerous times in NYC with Morphoses and later a visiting company did it at the Koch (forget which one).  And Wheeldon did a version of An American in Paris for NYCB many years ago, prior to bringing the musical to Broadway.

There are a handful companies in the world that can dance the nineteenth-century classics in a way that does them full justice, and the Royal Ballet is one of them. I know they are doing a long run of Swan Lake this year, but I find the decision not to include any nineteenth-century repertory for an entire season very disappointing. It feels almost like a dereliction of duty, and in the absence of a full-length nineteenth-century work, at least something like the Raymonda Grand Pas (which they dance) could have been included as part of a mixed bill program. I had thought to go to London next year, and the Ashton CInderella is appealing, but now I'm thinking that if I can manage overseas ballet travel, then I should consider Paris or Amsterdam especially as the Royal's choice of 20th/21st century programs is by and large not interesting to me. (For Balanchine, obviously, I travel to see NYCB not the Royal.)

In an interview on Gramiliano, O'Hare kind of poo-poos the idea of thinking in terms of a "season" which I assume is his way of forestalling this reaction--they're doing Swan Lake now after all etc. My feelings are not assuaged. And though I do think it great news the ROH company is now calling itself "The Royal Ballet and Opera," this season's programming hardly seems best positioned to take advantage of that new prominence for the ballet end of things.

In the absence of any touring from the great Russian companies, the situation is even gloomier for fans in Europe and United States. 

Edited by Drew
grammar

I am extremely happy with seeing Onegin, the two full-length Prokofiev ballets, along with The Prodigal Son, Serenade, Symphony in C.   I can't wait to learn who will be cast in The Prodigal Son and have my hopes up about certain dancers.