This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Swan Lake: 2/23 - 3/3

Principal Casting has been posted for Swan Lake, which runs from Friday 2/23 through Sunday 3/3

CASTING - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org) - *CASTING SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson

Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Black Swan Pas de Deux and Act II Choreography: after Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov

Additional Principal Coaching: Julio Bocca

Scenic and Costume Design: Jonathan Fensom

Lighting Design: Jennifer Tipton

Friday, February 23, 8:00 PM

• Odette-Odile: Nikisha Fogo
  • Prince Siegfried: Aaron Robison
  • Von Rothbart: Nathaniel Remez

Saturday, February 24, 2:00 PM

• Odette-Odile: Frances Chung
  • Prince Siegfried: Joseph Walsh
  • Von Rothbart: Daniel Deivison-Oliveira

Saturday, February 24, 8:00 PM

• Odette-Odile: Sasha De Sola
  • Prince Siegfried: Isaac Hernández
  • Von Rothbart: Alexander Reneff-Olson

Sunday, February 25, 2:00 PM

• Odette-Odile: Wona Park
  • Prince Siegfried: Wei Wang

Tuesday, February 27, 8:00 PM

Wednesday, February 28, 8:00 PM

Thursday, February 29, 8:00 PM

Friday, March 1, 8:00 PM

• Odette-Odile: Wona Park
  • Prince Siegfried: Wei Wang

Saturday, March 2, 2:00 PM

Saturday, March 2, 8:00 PM

Sunday, March 3, 2:00 PM

Please note there will be an Encore of Swan Lake to end the season.  There will be 7 performances beginning April 30 through May 5 with guest artists.  No news yet as to who will be the guest artists.  SWAN LAKE ENCORE - San Francisco Ballet (sfballet.org)

Full cast for the opening night performance of Swan Lake - https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting/

Friday, February 23, 8:00 PM

• Conductor: Martin West
  • Violin: Cordula Merks
  • Cello: Eric Sung

• Odette-Odile: NIKISHA FOGO
  • Prince Siegfried: AARON ROBISON
  • Von Rothbart: NATHANIEL REMEZ
  • Queen Mother: Katita Waldo
  • Wolfgang, The Tutor: Ricardo Bustamante

PROLOGUE

Odette, Von Rothbart

ACT I – OUTSIDE THE PALACE

Prince Siegfried, Queen Mother, Wolfgang

• Pas de Trois: KATHERINE BARKMAN, ESTEBAN HERNÁNDEZ, ISABELLA DEVIVO
  • Aristocrats: Kamryn Baldwin, Thamires Chuvas, Gabriela Gonzalez, Elizabeth Mateer, Anatalia St. Clair, Rubén Cítores Nieto, Luca Ferrò, Steven Morse, Joshua Jack Price, Mingxuan Wang
  • Peasants: Sofia Albers, Samantha Bristow, Olivia Brothers, Maya Chandrashekaran, Jihyun Choi, Mimi Lamar, Katharine Lee, Carmela Mayo, Swane Messaoudi, Pemberley Ann Olson, Tyla Steinbach, Seojeong Yun, Benjamin Davidoff, Lleyton Ho, Andris Kundzins, Simone Pompignoli, Jacob Seltzer, Alexis Francisco Valdes
  • Ladies in Waiting, Guards, Peasants, and Children: Supernumeraries and Students of San Francisco Ballet School

– INTERMISSION –

ACT II – THE LAKESIDE

Odette, Prince Siegfried, Von Rothbart

• Cygnets: Katherine Barkman, Isabella DeVivo, Norika Matsuyama, Julia Rowe
  • Swan Maidens: Kamryn Baldwin and Sasha Mukhamedov
  • Swans: Sofia Albers, Samantha Bristow, Olivia Brothers, Jihyun Choi, Thamires Chuvas, Jacey Gailliard, Gabriela Gonzalez, Katharine Lee, SunMin Lee, Elizabeth Mateer, Carmela Mayo, Swane Messaoudi, Pemberley Ann Olson, Anatalia St. Clair, Tyla Steinbach, Angela Watson, Victoria Wright, Seojeong Yun

– INTERMISSION –

ACT III – THE PALACE BALLROOM

Odile, Prince Siegfried, Von Rothbart, Queen Mother, Wolfgang

• Spanish Princess: Sasha Mukhamedov with Rubén Cítores Nieto and Mingxuan Wang
  • Czardas Princess: Anatalia St. Clair with Daniel Deivison-Oliveira and Samantha Bristow, SunMin Lee, Carmela Mayo, Swane Messaoudi, Andris Kundzins, João Percilio da Silva, Jacob Seltzer, Alexis Francisco Valdes
  • Neapolitan Princess: Julia Rowe with Cavan Conley
  • Russian Princesses: Kamryn Baldwin and Thamires Chuvas with Joshua Jack Price and Steven Morse
  • Master of Ceremonies: Benjamin Davidoff
  • Ladies and Gentlemen of the Court: Students of San Francisco Ballet School

Grand Pas de Deux: Odile and Prince Siegfried

ACT IV – THE LAKESIDE

Odette, Prince Siegfried, Von Rothbart, Swans

*Casting subject to change

I’m in San Francisco to see the four casts of Sean Lake.  The Friday night premiere had Nikisha Fogo and Aaron Robison in the principal roles. They were electric, passionate, and so in sync with each other emotionally, that I sat completely enthralled.  It was Swan Lake fully realized.  What a glorious night.  

It was a  pleasure to see Frances Chung on stage again for the Saturday matinee with Joe Walsh. She had not danced for many months due to her pregnancy and was utterly back to her exquisite form for Swan Lake.  
In contrast, I was distressed by the Saturday evening principals, with a display of contrived, calculated, exaggerated  emoting lacquered on by the female principal and the lackluster performance by the male principal, who has a stiff back and torso and very little projection.  I am sure that some will think differently, but, objectively speaking, it was hard to sit through, seeing the poetry of Swan Lake demolished by phoniness under the guise of interpretation.  Kudos to Cavan Conley for his Act I performance and dancing in the pas de trios and Isabella DeVivo, utterly delightful with a beautiful, light jump, in the Neapolitan duet in Act III.  

I'm surprised by the negative Saturday review, but I suppose that's why we have multiple casts!  

I just saw Frances and Joe tonight, both were stunning.  Frances is definitely a more understated Odette/Odile, I wouldn't say she brings over-the-top pathos to the role.

However, as always, she's really tasteful in her technical and artistic choices (it's something I appreciate more and more, especially in this era of social media ballerinas).  She knows when to go for big turns, balances, etc and when to hold back. I never feel like her dancing "distracts" from the actual ballet.  And I'm continually amazed that she never seems to have an off night, ever.  A thoroughly great evening, well worth the cost of admission and then some!

Wonderful to read others' experiences. Josette, what interesting comments you make about Saturday night -- I did not see, but I always trust your perspective and opinion. So, thank you for your honestly. I saw opening night and Sunday afternoon. Both performances were wonderful, but I favored Nikisha's Act II Odette over Wona's, but Wona's  Black Swan more than Nikisha's. Wona just crushed it. Her 32-fouetté passage was just stunning and soooo powerful. I reviewed it at The Classical Girl, and it sounds like I have permission to post links to my reviews, so here's that: https://wp.me/p3k7ov-1wE 

For those who don't like to leave the page, here's a "Top 10 Things I liked" section of the review.

1. Nathaniel Remez as Von Rothbart in both performances, creepily excellent (excellently creepy?), with his leaps, as well as those fabulous birdlike movements of his head.
  2. Katherine Barkman, Isabella DeVivo, Esteban Hernández in the Pas de Trois on opening night.
  3. The glorious moving clouds in a blue sky that grow pink as dusk descends, a melding of Jennifer Tipton’s lighting design and Sven Ortel’s projection design that works so very well.
  4. The swan corps ensemble. They make the show. They are stunning. In perfect synch, both performances. Brava, you unsung heroes of this ballet.
  5. Cordula Merks' glorious violin solos (and duets with Eric Sung on the cello).
  6. Apprentice Jacey Gailliard performing in the demi-soloist role of Swan Maiden alongside seasoned soloist Sasha Mukhamedov and just nailing it, projecting such confidence.
  7. Sasha Mukhamedov and Kamryn Baldwin as Spanish Princess, on opening night and Sunday afternoon, respectively. Regal, assured, decisive.
  8. Newcomers Jihyun Choi, Hui-Wen Peng, Alexis Francisco Valdes (one year more senior), all corps dancers rising to the challenge in Sunday’s Pas de Trois.
  9. The cygnets, that iconic quartet of four dancers with interlocked arms, dancing as one unit. Flawless, both nights. (SunMin Lee, Carmela Mayo, Tyla Steinbach, Angela Watson on Sunday and Katherine Barkman, Isabella DeVivo, Norika Matsuyama, Julia Rowe on Friday night.)
  10. The searing, emotional climax in that final scene, by the lake, the music breaking my heart as the final drama plays out. Wow. Just wow.