This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Nutcracker casting December 2022

ABT has posted their casting for their Nutcracker 2022 engagement at Segerstrom Center for the Arts. This posting is for the Nutcracker Prince and Princess. Of note is the debuts of Calvin Royal III and Cassandra Trenary in the roles on Sunday Matinee, December 11th. Also is the return to the stage of James Whiteside with Isabella Boylston after his devasting  injury last year in the same role. 

From the Segerstrom website at https://www.scfta.org/events/2022/the-nutcracker

Friday, December 9 at 7 p.m. – Devon Teuscher, Joo Won Ahn

Saturday, December 10 at 2 p.m. – Isabella Boylston, James Whiteside

Saturday, December 10 at 7 p.m. – Catherine Hurlin, Aran Bell

Sunday, December 11 at 12:30 p.m. – Cassandra Trenary*, Calvin Royal III*

Sunday, December 11 at 5:30 p.m. – Christine Shevchenko, Thomas Forster

Wednesday, December 14 at 7 p.m. – Hee Seo, Cory Stearns

Thursday, December 15 at 7 p.m. – Skyler Brandt, Herman Cornejo

Friday, December 16 at 7 p.m. –  Cassandra Trenary, Calvin Royal lll

Saturday, December 17 at 2 p.m. – Devon Teuscher, Joo Won Ahn

Saturday, December 17 at 7 p.m. – Skylar Brandt, Herman Cornejo

Sunday, December 18 at 12:30 p.m. – Catherine Hurlin, Aran Bell

Sunday, December 18 at 5:30 p.m. – Hee Seo, Cory Stearns

*Indicates the first time in the role.

I attended the four weekend performances on Dec. 10 and 11.  All the men (Whiteside, Bell, Royal, Forster) were excellent, and it was wonderful  to see James Whiteside on Saturday afternoon, dancing strongly and being cheered by the audience, many of whom obviously had been at the performance when he was injured onstage last year.    The Sunday performances of Trenary/Royal and Shevchenko/Forster were particularly beautiful.  Trenary and Royal  gave an amazing performance - premieres for both of them.  Trenary melted all hearts with her beautiful presence and danced with a melting quality as if in a reverie during her solo, and Royal was joyous and danced and partnered with mastery.  Shevchenko and Forster, who were not new to me in their roles, were brilliant and danced with exceptional musical phrasing.   

15 hours ago, Josette said:

I attended the four weekend performances on Dec. 10 and 11.  All the men (Whiteside, Bell, Royal, Forster) were excellent, and it was wonderful  to see James Whiteside on Saturday afternoon, dancing strongly and being cheered by the audience, many of whom obviously had been at the performance when he was injured onstage last year.    The Sunday performances of Trenary/Royal and Shevchenko/Forster were particularly beautiful.  Trenary and Royal  gave an amazing performance - premieres for both of them.  Trenary melted all hearts with her beautiful presence and danced with a melting quality as if in a reverie during her solo, and Royal was joyous and danced and partnered with mastery.  Shevchenko and Forster, who were not new to me in their roles, were brilliant and danced with exceptional musical phrasing.   

Thank you for this report Josette. I don't follow ABT as much as I do NYCB, so I was surprised to hear this was Trenary's debut. So glad it went well. I'm a fan of hers!

15 hours ago, Josette said:

Thank you for this! Happy that after not being cast in (almost) anything last Spring, Trenary is shining. She and Royal really do possess stage magic. 

I've never sought out Whiteside in the past (except for Harliquinade and Jane Eyre, where he seemed the best fit for a lead), but I find that I miss him a lot in things like Nutcracker and Swan Lake. He imbues the classics with a modern, slightly rebellious energy and is such a good partner. 

I attended the Sunday evening 12/11 ABT Nutcracker performance with Christine Shevchenko and Thomas Forster at Segerstrom. It was my first time seeing both dancers perform in person. Shevchenko is just as beautiful and technically proficient as she appears in print, video, and on social media. She’s truly a star, and ABT is lucky to have her. Sadly, Forster was less impressive. His weak partnering skills were noticeable. There were a handful of times during both the Snow Act 1 pas and Grand Pas Act 2 where he failed to properly support or catch her during a leap, jump, or turn, causing her to appear slightly off-balance, unstable, or behind the music. Shevchenko was a trooper and did her best to “save” those moments.  She clearly has a tremendous amount of control, which she definitely needed to “get through” the less than ideal partnering from Forster. I hope ABT pairs her with a stronger male dancer in future, as I’d be more than happy to watch her in pretty much anything from now on (but not with Forster). I was really struck by Corps member Zimmi Coker’s turn as 1) Party Scene Maid 2) Snowflake and 3) Mirliton (I guess they’re called “Nutcracker’s Sisters” in the Ratmansky version?). She has such an amazing stage presence, artistry and technique - a winning combo, and she really stood out. ABT, please promote her asap! I also enjoyed Breanne Granlund’s sprightly Harlequine and Chinese, and ABT Studio Co up-and-comer Elisabeth Beyer’s work in Flowers - she was easy to spot and has star power!

The rest of the production was fine, Act 2 faring slightly better than Act 1, if only because there are less children dancing, and the choreography is tighter. Act 1 Party Scene could use some new choreography and staging. Nowadays, I tend to prefer versions that feature a professional dancer in the role of Clara, like the Royal Ballet’s, which allows for meatier choreography and a more elevated Act 1 viewing experience.

Edited by Caballetfan

I recall two obvious baubles in the partnering, yet Forster got her fully up in a good position on the torch lift, which two others did not accomplish over the weekend.  Forster has been an excellent partner in other performances.  I recall one bauble with Aran Bell this weekend, after which he miraculously recovered Hurlin in the nick of time.  It is a pas de deux with potential pitfall after pitfall, and the choreography does have off-balance, fluid elements.  I recall an incident with marvelous Marcelo Gomes in the pas de deux coda where a falling-on-her-face-ballerina disaster was averted. Such is live performance.    Shevchenko is an absolute gem, my favorite, and I love that you appreciate her so much.  And I agree about Zimmi Coker always standing out and hope she gets a featured role in Like Water for Chocolate. 

On 12/15/2022 at 12:40 AM, Josette said:

I recall two obvious baubles in the partnering, yet Forster got her fully up in a good position on the torch lift, which two others did not accomplish over the weekend.  

Everybody seems to do that torch lift with two arms. But take a look at Skylar Brandt's Instagram stories today. Cornejo lets go with the left arm ever so briefly. The only one-armed version I've seen with this company. 

PS. And Francisco Estevez (formerly with Colorado Ballet and sorely missed) again did one-armed torch lifts this year with the Rocky Mountain Ballet Academy, the school of Alexei Tyukov (also formerly with Colorado Ballet and also sorely missed).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl-ji0ojPdq/

Edited by California