This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SAB Workshop

I'm just in from the SAB Workshop. It was a wonderful experience, it is so so heartening to see these young people dedicated to carrying on the art form.

First on the program was a new Gianna Reisen piece, Signs, to music by Philip Glass. This was more interesting than I would have expected. I dismissively categorize a lot of current choreography into one of two schools: Dancers Running Around and Acrobatic Lifting. Thankfully, this was neither. Also avoided the ponderousness that Glass often evokes. Interesting movements and patterns, note of humility, and beautifully, beautifully prepared. Could not have been crisper or more musically precise and the youngsters looked really great. Next up was a series of variations from various Balanchine ballets - Nutcracker, La Source, Cortege Hongrois, and Raymonda Variations. Interestingly, each piece was a solo, performed simultaneously by 6 or 7 dancers. Not everyone was equally successful, but it was fun. After intermission, we had Circus Polka for the younger kids. It was fascinating to see the groupings at different ages. I was especially impressed to see the attack and power already developed in the middle group (about 10-11 years old?). The closer was the 4th movement of Symphony in C. This was a great choice for a student showcase, giving as it does the opportunity for lots of solo/featured dancing, and gets all the girls onto the stage doing real dancing. It looked terrific. I was highly impressed with the beautiful lines of several of the men. Overall, just really heartening to see. 

If anyone goes to tonight's performance or the benefit, I would love to hear reports. Also interested in any official reports as to students taken as apprentices at NYCB, or where else they might be going. 

Edited by cobweb

I was there this afternoon as well.  Agree that the highlight was the closer, 4th movement of Symphony in C.  The dancers looked terrific. What a wonderful testament to Suki Schorer’s fifty years of teaching. 

I thought the brevity of the program was a reflection of the challenges SAB has faced during the epidemic.  I longed for more of the variations or another work to showcase these young dancers. I didn’t share your enthusiasm for the Reisen piece, cobweb. I felt it was overlong and derivative.

On 6/26/2022 at 1:16 AM, Helene said:

I happily joined a friend today to watch the Harlequinade stream from Australian Ballet, and it was a delight!  The company is very strong and well-rounded, and I hope Henry Berlin has a great experience there.

I also tuned in with a colleague who is new to dance going and we were both delighted. A very very good company. All the best to Henry Berlin there.

On 6/4/2022 at 5:57 PM, cobweb said:

I'm just in from the SAB Workshop. It was a wonderful experience, it is so so heartening to see these young people dedicated to carrying on the art form.

First on the program was a new Gianna Reisen piece, Signs, to music by Philip Glass. This was more interesting than I would have expected. I dismissively categorize a lot of current choreography into one of two schools: Dancers Running Around and Acrobatic Lifting. Thankfully, this was neither. Also avoided the ponderousness that Glass often evokes. Interesting movements and patterns, note of humility, and beautifully, beautifully prepared. Could not have been crisper or more musically precise and the youngsters looked really great. Next up was a series of variations from various Balanchine ballets - Nutcracker, La Source, Cortege Hongrois, and Raymonda Variations. Interestingly, each piece was a solo, performed simultaneously by 6 or 7 dancers. Not everyone was equally successful, but it was fun. After intermission, we had Circus Polka for the younger kids. It was fascinating to see the groupings at different ages. I was especially impressed to see the attack and power already developed in the middle group (about 10-11 years old?). The closer was the 4th movement of Symphony in C. This was a great choice for a student showcase, giving as it does the opportunity for lots of solo/featured dancing, and gets all the girls onto the stage doing real dancing. It looked terrific. I was highly impressed with the beautiful lines of several of the men. Overall, just really heartening to see. 

If anyone goes to tonight's performance or the benefit, I would love to hear reports. Also interested in any official reports as to students taken as apprentices at NYCB, or where else they might be going. 

I loved the Workshop. The program did seem a bit short, but I attribute that to the pandemic. The highlight, for me, was the finale of Symphony in C. Many of the attendees near me somehow expected to see the entire ballet, since casts for the first three movements were listed. I guess they didn't realize that each movement gets its own reprise in the finale.

According to a recent email from SAB, students were invited to join the following companies:

The Australian Ballet, Ballet Austin, Ballet West II, Boston Ballet II, Cleveland Ballet, Houston Ballet, Joffrey Ballet, Joffrey Studio Co, Los Angeles Ballet (3 students invited), Nevada Ballet Theater, New York City Ballet (8 students invited) Pacific Northwest Ballet PDII, Pittsburgh Ballet Theater, Royal Danish Ballet (2 students invited).

Students were also admitted into:

Barnard, Boston University, Brown University, City College of NY, Clemson U, College of Charleston, Columbia University, Drexel University, Emerson College, Fordham University, George Washington University, Hunter College, New York University, Northeastern University, Pace University, Pratt Institute, Savannah College of Art and Design, University of California -Irvine, Los Angeles and Berkeley, University of Florida, University of Maryland, University of Massachusetts Boston, University of Miami, University of Southern California, University of South Carolina, University of Washington, Yale.

Congratulations to all!