This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ann Reinking (1949-2020)

I was truly shocked to learn of Ann Reinking's passing.  I worked with her at the beginning of her career and at her peak.  She had an incredible work ethic.  Once when she was hospitalized while working on Broadway,  she would check herself out to do her performance and then go back to the hospital afterwards!  Her relationship with Bob Fosse is well known,  but she revered Gwen Verdon even more.  She danced in an old pair of Gwen's shoes that were so worn they had to be pieced together for almost every performance.

But most of all,  Annie was devoted to the care of her son,  who underwent many operations and procedures to treat a severe congenital condition.  He was the center of her life.  May her memory be a blessing to him and her husband and family.

So sorry to hear this, I realize she was 71, but it seems too soon.

I didn't know that her son had Marfan syndrome until now. A sweet article by Reinking on the subject:

Those teens were there because I had choreographed a dance specifically for them. My background as a dancer helped me see the beauty of elongated figures. Part of a choreographer’s job is creating the right dance for the dancer’s body. I’d trained for this special assignment my whole life! I choreographed a dance that would highlight the long-stemmed and lithe bodies of Marfan kids.

“You know why you’re here?” I asked. “You’re here to celebrate the beauty and grace of your bodies. You’re here because you’re unique and beautiful. If you were a Giacometti or Modigliani, you’d be worth millions of dollars!”

She's dancing in heaven right now for sure, although that "Trumpet Solo" of hers may disturb the peace a bit. RIP.

Thank you for the clips, volcanohunter. I've always loved that "Everything Old is New Again" number and Reinking in it, and young Erszebet Foldi is delightful as well.

Deeply saddened when I heard the shocking news. So very sorry that she passed away. Deepest condolences  to her family and friends, and fans

Years ago, I met Ann Reinking once. Took place at a dance center.  She was so sweet and kind. I brave willingly asked her if she happened to be Ann Reinking. She  simply responded with a YES nod, and wink and smile. So, then I complimented her wonderful movies, which I truly enjoyed, and talented performances, both as a dancer and actress. “Thank you”, Annie replied, flattered,  with another sweet and kind smile. - A memorable moment to fondly remember

Ann Reinking shall always be fondly remembered as a wonderful person, and talented dancer and actress, whose movies again I truly enjoyed

“Annie” and “All That Jazz” were my most favorites of her movies among many

You shall be missed - RIP, and keep in dancing, Annie