This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet de Barcelona by Chase Johnsey

Amazing news! Today a brand new company Ballet de Barcelona under Artistic Direction of Chase Johnsey will premiere at Teatre Condal in Barcelona. 14 dancers, 7 nationalities (USA, Japan EU countries) and 39 days of life. Program includes some Pdd of classical repertoire with Chase dancing the Dying Swan and a new piece created by Antonio Carmena with the help of Marcus Salazar. Antonio, a former soloist at NYCB, has made a wonderful work in a Balanchine style.

If you want to watch a bit of class or rehearsal you can go to Dance Magazine FaceBook page and watch them work in a streaming from 3:00pm today!

Thank you!!

Please find an update about Ballet de Barcelona The company has performed around Catalonia with great success both from audience and critics. Chase has really succeed in leading a wonderful team that by now counts on 12 company members, 5 aprentices and 12 trainees (with many dancers interested to join for next season).

The company has already 3 productions in the repertoire : Mixed Bill, Nutcracker and Peter and the Wolf, being now immersed in preparing Jimmy Gamonet's Carmen together with the second act of Swan Lake.

Please find videos of the productions for you to see how it looks like:

Nutckraker 

Mixed Bill 

Peter and the Wolf

Thank you!!!

On 3/16/2020 at 7:03 AM, CarolinaM said:

Please find an update about Ballet de Barcelona The company has performed around Catalonia with great success both from audience and critics. Chase has really succeed in leading a wonderful team that by now counts on 12 company members, 5 aprentices and 12 trainees (with many dancers interested to join for next season).

The company has already 3 productions in the repertoire : Mixed Bill, Nutcracker and Peter and the Wolf, being now immersed in preparing Jimmy Gamonet's Carmen together with the second act of Swan Lake.

Please find videos of the productions for you to see how it looks like:

Nutckraker 

Mixed Bill 

Peter and the Wolf

Thank you!!!

I saw Gamonet's Carmen years ago when there was the "Ballet Gamonet" here in Miami. It was quite pleasant.

1 hour ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

I saw Gamonet's Carmen years ago when there was the "Ballet Gamonet" here in Miami. It was quite pleasant.

Oh, really?! So glad to know!!

We were already working on it and Iliana and Franklin were scheduled to come to work with our dancers the week before the premiere but now... who knows what's going to be? It's really a pity as we all were really excited and had many theaters interested in this show.

Thank you very much!! Stay safe and healthy!

12 hours ago, CarolinaM said:

Oh, really?! So glad to know!!

We were already working on it and Iliana and Franklin were scheduled to come to work with our dancers the week before the premiere but now... who knows what's going to be? It's really a pity as we all were really excited and had many theaters interested in this show.

Thank you very much!! Stay safe and healthy!

Iliana danced the lead in that performance. She was always a beautiful dancer. 

You too stay safe!

2 hours ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

Iliana danced the lead in that performance. She was always a beautiful dancer. 

Thank you Cubanmiamiboy!

Our Artistic Director, Chase Johnsey, admires and respects Iliana very much, she was his coach for many ballets at Trocadero. We truly hope this project can be a reality soon for our company and dancers and also for the audience here in Catalonia and all over the world!

On 3/20/2020 at 5:25 AM, CarolinaM said:

Thank you Cubanmiamiboy!

Our Artistic Director, Chase Johnsey, admires and respects Iliana very much, she was his coach for many ballets at Trocadero. We truly hope this project can be a reality soon for our company and dancers and also for the audience here in Catalonia and all over the world!

I was recently in Barcelona, and let me tell you.... If I was to pick a european city to live, it would be there. I saw an amazing, luxurious production of Aida at the Liceu, and all I could think of was how great it would be if the city had a top notch ballet company as the perfect complement to the arts, food and beach. 

On 3/28/2020 at 3:47 AM, cubanmiamiboy said:

I was recently in Barcelona, and let me tell you.... If I was to pick a european city to live, it would be there. I saw an amazing, luxurious production of Aida at the Liceu, and all I could think of was how great it would be if the city had a top notch ballet company as the perfect complement to the arts, food and beach. 

Ohhh I'm happy to know you enjoyed!! But you are right Ballet is lacking there and it is not at all appreciated by the Government neither by the Liceu, this is a great lack in the city as far as culture is concerned.

And it is really a pity as the Liceu had a very important ballet company in the past centuries (1847-1988). Now with the new board of Directors and the Ballet de Barcelona in place maybe some things could change, but for sure this would happen slowly.... if it happens....

And with all this COVID-19 situation, who knows what's going to happen?

If you come back again, please let me know and if the company is not performing we would be pleased to invite you to come to watch classes and/or rehearsals.

Also for anyone interested, please find a link to the former dancers of the Ballet del Gran Teatre del Liceu association website to keep the memory of those who were part of it: http://www.licexballet.com/ca/ you can use the translator to have it in English.

A granddaugther of one of the soloist ballerina of the company and Director of Licexballet, Carme Cavaller, is dancing with Ballet de Barcelona, she is Clara Mora. So tradition is passing through generations and we are very proud we can keep this.

Hoping everybody is well, cheers from Barcelona.

On 3/29/2020 at 5:10 AM, CarolinaM said:

If you come back again, please let me know and if the company is not performing we would be pleased to invite you to come to watch classes and/or rehearsals.

Much appreciated dear! Of course I'll be back.  I've been several times there and keep coming back. It is hard to take Barcelona out of one's heart!