This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Peter Boal on fostering diversity

He talks about what he's been seeing at auditions for the school around the country, and comparing diversity in the visual arts with dance (and specifically with ballet).  Some nice insights on the company's audition practices, but also some very interesting observations about how things are working in the field now.

https://www.dancemagazine.com/race-ballet-peter-boal-2632243900.html?rebelltitem=4#rebelltitem4

On 3/29/2019 at 3:57 PM, sandik said:

He talks about what he's been seeing at auditions for the school around the country, and comparing diversity in the visual arts with dance (and specifically with ballet).  Some nice insights on the company's audition practices, but also some very interesting observations about how things are working in the field now.

https://www.dancemagazine.com/race-ballet-peter-boal-2632243900.html?rebelltitem=4#rebelltitem4

Thanks for sharing that. It really is a very thoughtful piece. Well worth taking the time to read.

And yes Misty is there at the very end, as the popularity she enjoys goes straight to his major point of the power and importance of representation in the arts.

I love this paragraph: 

“At PNB, we've abandoned audition locations we suspect are less welcoming to people of color and relocated to ones that are more so. We've added free master classes so students can get to know us better. Audition fees are waived when needed. Hijabs, dreadlocks, afros and brown tights are all okay. We used to send only white people like me to run auditions. Now we send a racially diverse group. In places where we have taken these steps, we see change. Our hope is that all students feel welcomed, valued and empowered.”

Reminds me of someone I heard discussing diversity in venture capital: If you’ve got a pipeline problem, build some new pipes. Bravo to PNB and Boal for working on new pipes!