This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New Waltz of the Flower costumes in 2018

I disliked them too:  unflattering design and muddy colors - they kind of look like flowers grown in toxic waste, to be brutally honest.  The sketches for the new designs look good, especially the longer skirt.  The shorter length put too much attention on the knees, and even dancers' knees aren't particularly glamorous.

18 hours ago, dirac said:

Margot Fonteyn had beautiful knees. Of course, hers were also virtually invisible when not bent. :)

:thumbsup: Can’t dispute you there.  I only saw Fonteyn during the Nureyev years, so she was past her prime, but her knees probably had more artistry than some ‘stars’ have these days in their entire bodies.

The old Waltz flowers always looked like Zinnias to me, both in offset petal form and colors – orange, salmon and chrome yellow – as opposed to City Ballet's (Karinska's?) which are lavender and pink in three even tiers. They seemed like a nice wintry reference to Southern California or Mexico. The new flowers look more like single poppies (crinkled icelandic?) in form with a similar color palette. Look forward to seeing them in movement.

Edited by Quiggin

Whoops. No new Flowers costumes last night at opening night. What a disappointment. Wonder what went wrong? Maybe the aforementioned SF Chronicle article was premature in its announcement? Clearly the costumes were not ready to be worn.

Anyone know if they would change the Flowers costumes mid-run, or would SFB simply wait until opening night next year for The Big Reveal?

On 12/13/2018 at 8:59 AM, Terez said:

Whoops. No new Flowers costumes last night at opening night. What a disappointment. Wonder what went wrong? Maybe the aforementioned SF Chronicle article was premature in its announcement? Clearly the costumes were not ready to be worn.

Anyone know if they would change the Flowers costumes mid-run, or would SFB simply wait until opening night next year for The Big Reveal?

Something must have gone wrong, but I've not heard a peep about where the issue occurred.
Blake Johnson posted a photo of herself in costume, a day ago, and she's definitely wearing the older costume style:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brk37j5AQZR/