This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018-19 Season

miliosr

Ratmansky’s Sleeping Beauty recon (originally for ABT) is ditched and the Nureyev version returns. Another “El Cheapo look” bites the dust, even though I’m sure that the actual cost was not cheap, as with the Munich Paquita. That’s too bad. Now I wonder how long La Scala will retain Ratmansky’s recent Swan Lake recon (the co-production with Zurich)?

21 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Ratmansky’s Sleeping Beauty recon (originally for ABT) is ditched and the Nureyev version returns. Another “El Cheapo look” bites the dust, even though I’m sure that the actual cost was not cheap, as with the Munich Paquita. That’s too bad. Now I wonder how long La Scala will retain Ratmansky’s recent Swan Lake recon (the co-production with Zurich)?

I don't think Bolle ever performed in the Swan Lake reconstruction.  Did he do the Sleeping Beauty reconstruction with ABT? He is seriously committed to the new season, and as he nears retirement, I wonder how much of the programming was designed with him in mind. Nureyev stagings typically have enhanced choreography for the male principal.

2 hours ago, California said:

I don't think Bolle ever performed in the Swan Lake reconstruction.  Did he do the Sleeping Beauty reconstruction with ABT? He is seriously committed to the new season, and as he nears retirement, I wonder how much of the programming was designed with him in mind. Nureyev stagings typically have enhanced choreography for the male principal.

Bolle did not do Ratmansky's SB w/ ABT. I can understand why this version would not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought there was nothing cheap looking about it. Quite the contrary.

The Lilac Fairy’s tacky sateen dress? The isolated Lazyboy thrones?

Everything about the designs and confection of the ABT costumes and sets is inferior to those of the magnificent Mariinsky Vikharev production. No contest! 

Edited by CharlieH

Next week’s Petipa Bicentennial conference at Moscow’s Bakhrushin Theatre Museum will include Messrs. Ratmansky & Fullington as participants on Day One in a panel on Study of Sources (June 6, 3:30-5:30pm), moderated by Prof. R.J. Wiley. Another interesting panel will explore the economics of Petipa-era productions (June 8, 11am-1:30pm), also led by Prof. Wiley.

http://www.gctm.ru/en/petipa_en/

Mr. Ratmansky must be getting on a “bullet plane” from NY to Moscow after the premiere of ABT’s Harlequinade to make his scheduled presentation! 

Edited by CharlieH