This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Boston Ballet 2018-19 season

kbarber

Genius at Play | September 6–16, 2018
Interplay
Music by Morton Gould
Choreography by Jerome Robbins
Fancy Free
Music by Leonard Bernstein
Glass Pieces
Boston Ballet Premiere
Music by Philip Glass

The Nutcracker | November 29–December 30, 2018
Music by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreography by Mikko Nissinen

Full on Forsythe | March 7–17, 2019
Artifact Suite
Choreography by William Forsythe
Music by Johann Sebastian Bach, Eva Crossman-Hecht
World Premiere
Blake Works I
North American Premiere
Music by James Blake

Coppélia | March 21–31, 2019
Music by Léo Delibes
Choreography by George Balanchine

Cinderella | May 10–June 8, 2019
Music by Sergei Prokofiev
Choreography by Sir Frederick Ashton

Rhapsody | May 16–June 9, 2019
ELA, Rhapsody in Blue
World Premiere
Music by George Gershwin
Choreography by Paulo Arrais
Yakobson Miniatures
Choreography by Leonid Yakobson
Rodin
Music by Claude Debussy, Alban Berg
Pas de Quatre
Music by Vincenzo Bellini
Vestris
Boston Ballet Premiere
Music by Gennadi Banshchikov
Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2
Music by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreography by George Balanchine

1 hour ago, miliosr said:

Florimond Lorieux has announced on his Instagram feed that he's returning to the Paris Opera Ballet after two years with Boston Ballet.

A lifetime contract is hard to give up.  I think the dancers are only permitted a certain amount of time away before relinquishing the lifetime contract.  I may be wrong.  Maybe somebody else knows the time frame associated with this.

10 hours ago, its the mom said:

I think the dancers are only permitted a certain amount of time away before relinquishing the lifetime contract.

My understanding is that the dancers at the Opera are guaranteed a sabbatical year. Further leave after one year may be at the discretion of the director (as appears to have happened here.)

Boston Ballet has updated its roster for the 2018-19 season.

Derek Dunn is now listed as a principal:

https://www.bostonballet.org/Home/Global/Profiles/Artists/Principal-Dancers/Derek-Dunn.aspx

Eris Nezha has departed to become a principal at Los Angeles Ballet:

https://losangelesballet.org/dancers

And. as noted previously, Florimond Lorieux has returned to the Paris Opera Ballet after two years with Boston Ballet as a soloist.

1 hour ago, miliosr said:

Boston Ballet has updated its roster for the 2018-19 season.

Derek Dunn is now listed as a principal:

https://www.bostonballet.org/Home/Global/Profiles/Artists/Principal-Dancers/Derek-Dunn.aspx

Eris Nezha has departed to become a principal at Los Angeles Ballet:

https://losangelesballet.org/dancers

And. as noted previously, Florimond Lorieux has returned to the Paris Opera Ballet after two years with Boston Ballet as a soloist.

Derek has been a great addition to this company.  However, he is fairly short, and there are only a few women he can partner in classical works. Nezha joins his wife, Petra Conti, in LA.  Lorieux will be missed.  He is beautiful on stage.  It will be interesting to see how Kapitonova fits into the company.

11 hours ago, its the mom said:

Nezha joins his wife, Petra Conti, in LA.  Lorieux will be missed.  He is beautiful on stage.

I find Nezha's trajectory slightly odd -- La Scala to Boston Ballet to Los Angeles Ballet. Maybe he and his wife really want to live in LA?

I hope things work out for Lorieux back in Paris. But he still has the obstacle of the annual competition and I don't know if he's really the one they want to promote. (Compared to, say, Marc Moreau and Jeremy Loup-Quer.)

Edited by miliosr
3 hours ago, miliosr said:

I find Nezha's trajectory slightly odd -- La Scala to Boston Ballet to Los Angeles Ballet. Maybe he and his wife really want to live in LA?

I hope things work out for Lorieux back in Paris. But he still has the obstacle of the annual competition and I don't know if he's really the one they want to promote. (Compared to, say, Marc Moreau and Jeremy Loup-Quer.)

As someone else wrote, I'm not terribly excited by their season.  That's an understatement. I'm happy to see Balanchine, although not Coppelia as I just saw it at NYCB,  and maybe the Forsythe.  Conti and Nezha were two of my favorites at Boston and I'm sorry they've left. I really don't understand why, but perhaps they weren't getting the roles they'd expected to get.  I'm interested to see Kapitonova. 

6 hours ago, sandik said:

Have you seen the Yakobson before?  He's still relatively under-programmed here in the states -- I wish I was going to get a chance at it.

I've seen some of the Yakobson at Boston Ballet. I really like his work, but I thought BB's interpretation of it was just too pretty and superficial.  There are some very good clips of his work on youtube. 

I've got it and think it's worth the read.  I'm old enough to remember when there were all kinds of choreographers out there whose work we knew primarily (or in some cases only!) through written description -- considering the incredible amount of dance on the internet right now, there are still a few who are really only available in real time and space.  I think this shift has changed how some of us watch the art form.