Helene

2017-18 Season

"Mayerling" has moved to The Hobby Center for four performances from 22-24 September.

In preparation, Houston Ballet has published an org chart, which will be a great help in keeping the characters straight:

Oh, I like this -- I always loved the family tree charts that some historical novels would use!

Houston Ballet is going to be at Jacob's Pillow August 15th to 18th.  They will be performing Stanton Welch's Clear, excerpts from his Sons de L'ame, a new Welch ballet, Just, plus Trey McIntyre's In Dreams. I don't think I've seen anything by either of them. Any thoughts on these choreographers/works? Is this likely to be a good program?

I don't know much about Welch's work, but Trey McIntyre has made some very good work, for Houston and elsewhere.  If you go, please report back!

Second the McIntyre recommendation.  

Posted (edited)

I love Stanton Welch's Clear. ABT has performed this in the past; I wish they'd bring it back. It's a work for a male ensemble and one woman. Music by Bach. I would consider it a "pure dancing" piece and a great showcase for the men to just dance (there is partnering with the lone woman, but some nice solos for the guys). I'd recommend seeing it, especially if there are male dancers you don't get to see dance very often, or not often enough.

Here's an old review that describes the choreography:

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/30/arts/ballet-theater-reviews-seven-men-and-one-woman-equal-explosion.html

And, a short clip:

Edited by ABT Fan

Thanks Sandik, Jayne, and ABT Fan.  You and the video have convinced me to go. I've just bought my ticket. 

11 hours ago, FPF said:

Thanks Sandik, Jayne, and ABT Fan.  You and the video have convinced me to go. I've just bought my ticket. 

Let us know what you think!

15 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Let us know what you think!

ditto that!