This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

National Ballet at City Center in 1973 Gala Benefit

does anyone recall a gala benefit by/for the National Ballet in 1973 at City Center in ny? it appears at least part of sleeping beauty was done and there was some celebrity casting; Arlene Francis was the lilac fairy, Gwen Verdon was red riding hood, Julie Newmar was the white cat and Paulette Goddard the queen. i know i'm reaching a little far back - :)

Wow, These photos bring back such memories. I was in the company at the time but did not dance in this gala .In the first photo, Kevin Mc kenzie is standing in front of Christine Spizzo-Serrano. To the right, holding the sign is ( I think) Nadine Frolich- Jean Pierre Frolich's sister. The second photo Desmond Kelly and Margot are seen - Freddie Franklin is there as the king. He usually performed Cattabutte. I remembered one rehearsal with these celebrities- Gwen Verdon was so friendly and warm, Julie Newmar seemed to be in her own world and Paulette Goddard still strikingly beautiful- kept looking at herself with her compact mirror. Thanks Helene for the photos!