This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Met 2010 first 2 weeks of casting

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR FIRST TWO WEEKS OF

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2010 SPRING SEASON

AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Opening Night Performance to Feature Company Premieres

of Sir Frederick Ashton’s Thaïs Pas de Deux and Awakening Pas de Deux

Julie Kent and Roberto Bolle to Lead

Company Premiere of John Neumeier’s Lady of the Camellias

on Tuesday, May 25 at 7:30 P.M.

Casting for the first two weeks of American Ballet Theatre’s 2010 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

The season will begin on Monday, May 17 at 6:30 P.M. with the Company’s Opening Night Gala. The evening will be highlighted by the Company Premieres of Sir Frederick Ashton’s Thaïs Pas de Deux, danced by Diana Vishneva and Jose Manuel Carreño, and Awakening Pas de Deux, danced by Paloma Herrera and Cory Stearns. Set to “Meditation” from Jules Massenet’s Thaïs, Thaïs Pas de Deux was given its World Premiere by Antoinette Sibley and Anthony Dowell at a Gala Performance at the Adelphi Theatre in London on March 21, 1971. Awakening Pas de Deux, set to music by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky, received its World Premiere as part of a new production of Ashton’s The Sleeping Beauty by The Royal Ballet on December 17, 1968. Thaïs Pas de Deux and Awakening Pas de Deux were both staged for ABT by Grant Coyle.

The Gala program will also feature pas de deux from John Neumeier’s Lady of the Camellias, performed by Julie Kent and Roberto Bolle; Romeo and Juliet, with Xiomara Reyes and Herman Cornejo; Swan Lake, with Veronika Part and Marcelo Gomes; The Sleeping Beauty; with Natalia Osipova and David Hallberg; and Don Quixote, danced by Gillian Murphy and Ethan Stiefel. The evening will also include David Parsons’ Caught, performed by Angel Corella, and The Rose Adagio from The Sleeping Beauty, performed by Michele Wiles, as well as excerpts from Birthday Offering,

The Brahms-Haydn Variations and La Bayadère. Dancers from ABT II will make their

Spring Gala debut, performing the first movement of Edwaard Liang’s Ballo Per Sei. American Ballet Theatre’s Spring Gala is sponsored by Graff and NBC Universal.

ABT celebrates the 30th Anniversary of Natalia Makarova’s La Bayadère beginning Tuesday evening, May 18, with Diana Vishneva as Nikiya, Marcelo Gomes as Solor and Gillian Murphy as Gamzatti. On Wednesday evening, May 19, Roberto Bolle will make his ABT debut as Solor in La Bayadère, opposite Veronika Part as Nikiya. At the matinee on Saturday, May 22, Hee Seo will debut in the role of Gamzatti. Cory Stearns will debut as Solor on Monday evening, May 24, opposite Gillian Murphy as Nikiya. Conceived and directed by Makarova after Marius Petipa, La Bayadère is set to the music of Ludwig Minkus, arranged by John Lanchbery, and features scenery by PierLuigi Samaritani, costumes by Theoni V. Aldredge and lighting by Toshiro Ogawa. La Bayadère is generously sponsored by an endowed gift from Drs. Philip and Marjorie Gerdine. La Bayadère is presented in loving memory of Mrs. Caroline Newhouse. Additional support is provided by the Audrey Love Charitable Foundation.

John Neumeier’s Lady of the Camellias will be given its Company Premiere on Tuesday, May 25, danced by Julie Kent (Marguerite Gautier), Roberto Bolle (Armand Duval), Gillian Murphy (Manon Lescaut) and David Hallberg (Des Grieux). On Wednesday, May 26, Diana Vishneva, Marcelo Gomes, Veronika Part and Eric Tamm will debut in these roles at the matinee and Irina Dvorovenko, Cory Stearns, Stella Abrera and Blaine Hoven will lead the ballet for the first time at the evening performance. Set to music by Frédéric Chopin, Lady of the Camellias features scenery and costumes by Jürgen Rose with original lighting design by Neumeier, reconstructed by Ralf Merkel. Lady of the Camellias received its World Premiere by the Stuttgart Ballet on

November 4, 1978. Lady of the Camellias is generously supported through an endowed gift from The Toni and Martin Sosnoff New Works Fund. This production is generously sponsored through an endowed gift from Ruth and Harold Newman. Lady of the Camellias is generously sponsored during the 2010 Spring Season by Mrs. Audre D. Carlin.

On Friday, May 28, Paloma Herrera and Angel Corella will lead the season’s first performance of Don Quixote. Set to music by Ludwig Minkus, Don Quixote is staged by

Kevin McKenzie and Susan Jones, after choreography by Marius Petipa and Alexander Gorsky. This production was generously supported through an endowed gift from Anka K. Palitz, in memory of Clarence Y. Palitz, Jr.

J.P. Morgan is the Leading Corporate Sponsor of Make a Ballet. American Airlines is ABT’s Official Airline. Northern Trust is the Official Sponsor of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School at American Ballet Theatre. LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton is the Official Sponsor of ABT II. Mandarin Oriental is ABT’s preferred hotel. ABT is supported, in part, with public funds from the National Endowment for the Arts and the Recovery Act, the New York State Council on the Arts, a state agency, and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, in partnership with the City Council.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2010 Metropolitan Opera House season, priced $20-$111, are available online, at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000. Performance-only tickets for the Opening Night Gala are priced at $28-$150. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

Complete casting follows:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Metropolitan Opera House - Spring, 2010

FIRST WEEK

Mon. Eve., May 17, 6:30 P.M. GALA

BIRTHDAY OFFERING (Opening) – Dvorovenko,

Beloserkovsky

BALLO PER SEI (First Movement) – ABT II

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY (Rose Adagio) – Wiles, Saveliev,

Radetsky, Matthews, Zhurbin

ROMEO AND JULIET (Balcony Pas de Deux and Coda) – Reyes,

Cornejo

SWAN LAKE, Act III (Pas de Deux and Coda) – Part, Gomes

THAÏS PAS DE DEUX (Company Premiere) – Vishneva, Carreño

THE BRAHMS-HAYDN VARIATIONS (Closing Movement) –

Abrera, Hammoudi, Reyes, Cornejo, Underwood, Stearns, Seo,

Saveliev, Riccetto, Simkin

LA BAYADÈRE, Act II (Opening Adagio) - Company

AWAKENING PAS DE DEUX (Company Premiere) – Herrera,

Stearns

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY, Act III Pas de Deux (Opening Pas

and Coda) – Osipova, Hallberg

LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS, Act II Pas de Deux – Kent, Bolle

DON QUIXOTE, Act III Pas de Deux (Opening Pas and Coda) –

Murphy, Stiefel

CAUGHT – Corella

Tues. Eve., May 18, 7:30 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Vishneva, Gomes, Murphy

Wed. Mat., May 19, 2 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Herrera, Hallberg, Abrera

Wed. Eve., May 19, 7:30 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Part, Bolle**, Wiles

Thurs. Eve., May 20, 7:30 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Vishneva, Gomes, Murphy

Fri. Eve., May 21, 8 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Herrera, Hallberg, Abrera

Sat. Mat., May 22, 2 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Kent, Carreño, Seo*

Sat. Eve., May 22, 8 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Part, Bolle, Wiles

SECOND WEEK

Mon. Eve., May 24, 7:30 P.M. LA BAYADÈRE – Murphy, Stearns*, Seo

Tues. Eve., May 25, 7:30 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS (Company Premiere) – Kent, Bolle,

Murphy, Hallberg

Wed. Mat., May 26, 2 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS – Vishneva*, Gomes*, Part*,

Tamm*

Wed. Eve., May 26, 7:30 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS – Dvorovenko*, Stearns*, Abrera*,

Hoven*

Thurs. Eve., May 27, 7:30 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS – Kent, Bolle, Murphy, Hallberg

Fri. Eve., May 28, 8 P.M. DON QUIXOTE – Herrera, Corella

Sat. Mat., May 29, 2 P.M. DON QUIXOTE – Reyes, Cornejo

Sat. Eve., May 29, 8 P.M. DON QUIXOTE – Murphy, Stiefel

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

*Editors please note first time in a role:

Sat. Mat., 5/22 – Seo (Gamzatti) in La Bayadère

Mon. Eve., 5/24 – Stearns (Solor) in La Bayadère

Wed. Mat., 5/26 – Vishneva (Marguerite), Gomes (Armand), Part (Manon), Tamm (Des Grieux)

in Lady of the Camellias

Wed. Eve., 5/26 – Dvorovenko (Marguerite), Stearns (Armand), Abrera Manon), Hoven (Des Grieux)

in Lady of the Camellias

**Editors please note first time in a role with ABT:

Wed. Eve., 5/19 – Bolle (Solor) in La Bayadère

Tues. Eve., May 25, 7:30 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS (Company Premiere) – Kent, Bolle,

Murphy, Hallberg

Wed. Mat., May 26, 2 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS – Vishneva*, Gomes*, Part*,

Tamm*

Wed. Eve., May 26, 7:30 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS – Dvorovenko*, Stearns*, Abrera*,

Hoven*

Thurs. Eve., May 27, 7:30 P.M. LADY OF THE CAMELLIAS – Kent, Bolle, Murphy, Hallberg

Note that Hoven and Tamm are given opportunities to play the supporting danseur part in Lady of the Camelias that, on other nights, is being performed by Hallberg. This is a wonderful opportunity for Tamm, and has upside and significant risk for Hoven -- Hoven has got to do really well if he is striving to make soloist.

...and the cast for Birthday Offering( instead of Company).

Thank you - yes.

I'm disappointed that Sarah Lane wasn't given another shot at Gamzatti. I saw her debut last year and it was very impressive, I thought.

I wish they would publish casting regarding the Bronze Idol role. It is a significant supporting role, after all.

From Daniil S's facebook page, his casting for the first week at the Met:

Bronze Idol -- May 18 Tuesday; May 22 Saturday, evening performance

He is also dancing: Opening night gala, excerpt from Brahms Hayden Variations (as previously announced on another thread)

From Daniil S's facebook page, his casting for the first week at the Met:

Bronze Idol -- May 18 Tuesday; May 22 Saturday, evening performance

He is also dancing: Opening night gala, excerpt from Brahms Hayden Variations (as previously announced on another thread)

Thanks. I was already planning on seeing both of those Bayadere performances, but now I'm looking forward to it even more..

Note that Hoven and Tamm are given opportunities to play the supporting danseur part in Lady of the Camelias that, on other nights, is being performed by Hallberg. This . . . has upside and significant risk for Hoven -- Hoven has got to do really well if he is striving to make soloist.

Agreed. Management has given him opportunity after opportunity for two years now. He either seizes the moment or the door will close for him.

There is very limited casting up on the ABT website now re Birthday Offering. June 8 lists Dvoorvenko/Beleserkovsky. June 10 and 12 lists Murphy/Tamm.

There is very limited casting up on the ABT website now re Birthday Offering. June 8 lists Dvoorvenko/Beleserkovsky. June 10 and 12 lists Murphy/Tamm.

i guess this is asking too much but i wish ABT would also list the cast for Gaston, Prudence and Olympia in "The Lady of...".Although supporting roles, they have a lot of solo dancing. S Messmer mentioned in her Twitter site that she was rehearsing Prudence

Could members give me some info on how large the role of the second danseur (Des Grieux) is in La Dame aux Camelias? I'm debating whether to attend on an evening when Hallberg is dancing that role, or to skip all of the Dame performances.

ABT has customarily given more detailed casting in its updated-daily, printed hand-outs in the lobby than online. Especially as the dates near, I'd like to see casting of the three Shades, too. For iffy lead casts, the name of one or another of one of my faves could be the deciding factor.

ABT has customarily given more detailed casting in its updated-daily, printed hand-outs in the lobby than online. Especially as the dates near, I'd like to see casting of the three Shades, too. For iffy lead casts, the name of one or another of one of my faves could be the deciding factor.

Surely, the ABT-Met management would be interested in filling those seats w/ persons who would like to see ,not only the "stars", but also their favorite soloist/corp member.

Surely, the ABT-Met management would be interested in filling those seats w/ persons who would like to see ,not only the "stars", but also their favorite soloist/corp member.

I'd love to know detailed casting but ABT has always been a "star focused" operation.

This comment relates to casting, but not the first two weeks. Moderators, feel free to move this post.

ABT's ad in yesterday's NYTimes indicates that the Manon pdd on June 29 will be performed by Vishneva and Carreno. On the ABT website, it's listed as TBA.

Daniil S notes the following info about his roles during Week 2, on his Facebook pages:

Tuesday, May 25 (In the Country in 'Lady of the Camellias' [debut])

Thursday, May 27 (In the Country in 'Lady of the Camellias')

Saturday, May 29 (The Gypsy King in 'Don Quixote' [debut])