This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Seating Question for Swan Lake

I've only been to two ballets (Giselle and Cinderella) at the Metropolitan Opera House so I'm hoping others who are more familiar with this venue could offer their thoughts. I had student tickets in the rear side orchestra for those ballets.

I'm trying to decide on seats for Nina's farewell performance in Swan Lake and have a choice between the fifth row of the Dress Circle or the sixth row of the Orchestra, both center sections. I normally like to watch ballets from above but on the seating chart for the Met, the DC appears to be pretty far back from the stage.

My first impulse was to take the Orchestra seats but I've seen the ABT Swan Lake on DVD and it looks elaborate so I thought these might be too close to really appreciate the production. I'm also just 5'4" tall so seeing around heads can be a problem if there is not much elevation in the rows that close to the stage. On the other hand, this will be a special night so being that close would allow you to see faces and be up close for the curtain call.

Which seats would you choose? Thank you in advance for your help.

I would defiantly go for the Orchestra seats. Whether you have seats in row F (6 row from the stage) or in row Z (6 row from the back) it is still Prime Orchestra. Although you might loose some point work in row F, it is still so much better then DC, which is REALLY high and far from the stage in the Metropolitan Opera.

I am the same height as you are, and seeing around heads in the Orchestra is never a special problem.

I would defiantly go for the Orchestra seats. Whether you have seats in row F (6 row from the stage) or in row Z (6 row from the back) it is still Prime Orchestra. Although you might loose some point work in row F, it is still so much better then DC, which is REALLY high and far from the stage in the Metropolitan Opera.

I am the same height as you are, and seeing around heads in the Orchestra is never a special problem.

Beware of center orchestra seats that are in the first few rows. The conductor may block your view. Been there, done that.

I (at 5'6") have had trouble seeing feet in row H orchestra. The seats dip a bit before H, and if you have a very tall person in front of you, there may well be more than just the conductor blocking your view.

In general, except for a program of small-cast ballets, I much prefer seeing ballet from an elevated position. From above, you can take in the whole stage, see the principals when they are behind the corps, see the floor patterns, which to me are an important feature of any ballet.

I usually buy standing room, and the Dress Circle is actually my location of choice :-), preferred to Grand Tier and Orchestra.

Close-up views of faces are good for more drama, but dance is choreography and missing limbs (because of low seats, insufficient height, or large heads blocking views--my problem at the gala) should be a major factor in considering seating choices.

For Swan Lake, like carbro, I prefer to be higher to see all the action onstage, and Ivanov's patterns. (And dare I say it, I like the first scene with the corps in the 4th act, (it was cut from the broadcast/dvd) which in its choreography really does resemble a flock of swans flying and settling onto a lake.)

Also, if forced to sit in side areas, for Swan Lake (and Giselle) it's better to be slightly left (if facing the stage), because at least you won't miss any of the primary entrances.