This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Well, I think this one's odd. The next Royal Ballet DVD scheduled to be released by Opus Arte is the 1994 film of Mayerling with Irek Mukhamedov, Viviana Durante, Lesley Collier and Darcey Bussell. Odd because it's already available on DVD. If the quality of the transfer is improved - fantastic, but frankly I was hoping for La Fille mal gardée.

http://www.opusarte.com/pages/product.asp?ProductID=231

Thanks to the folks at Dansomanie for the tip.

As far as I know the only edition currently available is a Kultur/region 1 release.

So it makes sense to issue an all region DVD on Opus Arte.

And if I am correct, Opus Arte is now a property of of ROH, which staged the Mayerling ballet, so it's all money that stays in the family.

I have absolutely no objections to the Royal Ballet digging into its video archives. But this release would suggest that it doesn't intend to film a new Mayerling any time soon. Given that the ROH acquired Opus Arte in order to reach wider audiences, I somehow expected it to concentrate on promoting the company of today.

I have absolutely no objections to the Royal Ballet digging into its video archives. But this release would suggest that it doesn't intend to film a new Mayerling any time soon. Given that the ROH acquired Opus Arte in order to reach wider audiences, I somehow expected it to concentrate on promoting the company of today.

Well, I hoped it would give us both, but I'm sure a recording exists with the original cast and I'd much rather see that than this particular re-release.

As far as I know the only edition currently available is a Kultur/region 1 release.

So it makes sense to issue an all region DVD on Opus Arte.

And if I am correct, Opus Arte is now a property of of ROH, which staged the Mayerling ballet, so it's all money that stays in the family.

I was surprised to note that Opus Arte now belongs to the ROH, I sincerely hope that other companies productions will not be neglected in the future. There are at least two Ballets I am waiting to be released on DVD, that is Paris Opera's Dame aux Camellieas with Aurelie Dupont and Manuel Legris and also Aurelie again but this time with Herve Moreau in Berlioz Romeo and Juliette.

Now back to Mayerling, I have just aquired this new issue on DVD, I did own the former Video, which went out of production for a number of years. The new edition is really marvelous. such a superb cast, and of course the wonderful score, costumes and scenery. It would take a very special Company with the right calibre Artiste' to portray and dance the production anywhere near the original. Plus of course there are very strict regulations concerning the re-production of Sir Kenneth Mc Millans work, which I think is still under the juristriction of his Widow Lady Deborah Mc Millan, who is very keen to protect her late husbands artistic integrity. :clapping:

Nanarina, none of the POB performances you mention have been recorded for posterity, so it's unlikely we see them on DVD soon. There is however plans to film La Dame aux Camélias during its upcoming run in Paris (June/July), but the DVD is supposed to feature Agnès Letestu and Hervé Moreau.

Wuthering Heights has already been recorded (with Nicolas Le Riche, Marie-Agnès Gillot, Jean-Guillaume Bart) and shown a few times on French TV. I'm hoping for a DVD release too, but it has already been several years and no word about it...

I don't know about Caligula - I believe there aren't any plans to record it this year though. Maybe the next revival ?

Nanarina, none of the POB performances you mention have been recorded for posterity, so it's unlikely we see them on DVD soon. There is however plans to film La Dame aux Camélias during its upcoming run in Paris (June/July), but the DVD is supposed to feature Agnès Letestu and Hervé Moreau.

Thank you for the information, there was small previews on French TV of both Ballets, I went to see Romeo and Juliette, it was super. I go to see Les Dame on July 8th, hope it is not Agnes Letescue dancing as I am sorry to say, she is not my favourite Ballerina. Aurelie D is not dIf they are the cast perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised. ancing at present, it would have been much more acceptable if she was filmed, SHE CAN ACT !!!I do like Herve Moreau though A LOT !!!