This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Osipova's Giselle

Ostrich

I'm dying for news of Natalia Osipova's debut in Giselle - any reports?

not a report, but there is a 36 second clip on youtube. It is the hops on pointe followed by the pique turns.

The comments are (as typical on youtube) largely quite hostile and seem excessively final considering the viewer has only seen a few seconds of an entire ballet. I'm not sure I can make a proclamation on someone's Giselle based on that amt of information.

It is still neat to see

So I watched the clips.

I have to say, from what I can see on the tiny little screen, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Before watching I didn't think Osipova particularly suited to this role. I am not of the opinion that she is merely athletic. One of the things I love about her is her obvious love of dancing, which for me at least, is shown in everything she does. I also think that although she has amazing extensions, she uses them judiciously, she's not of the ilk (*cough* somova *cough*) who is determined to get her leg at her ear or in 180 degrees at all times simply because she can. I did however think she has an obvious STRENGTH to her dancing, and to a certain degree, a lack of softness, which would make her not an ideal Giselle.

I can't say I now see her as the ideal Giselle, but from the bits I saw, I'd say she appeared quite a successful one.

the portion (end) of the madscene was quite chilling. Her strength was evident here and it was not (for me) a negative aspect at all. She seemed truly mad (in perhaps both senses of the word) not merely crushed. The running section had an impact greater than many I've seen simply because she seemed so lost and possessed. When Hilarion shakes her and directs her back to her mother, she fought with him, he had to drag her backwards--it was an unusually VIOLENT mad scene. And I thought it worked wonderfully (but I want to see the whole thing).

Act II--which seemed the most unlikely for her (although she does have that gorgeous light jump!) also seemed a triumph for her artistically.

Her extensions were moderate--appropriate to the romantic style they rarely exceeded 90 degrees. There were none (in the clips) of her rather trademark glances or gestures of triumph (this isn't meant as a criticism, they work in Don Q, but clearly would NOT be right for a Willi). Her jumps were extraordinarily light and high. Her arms seemed a bit excessive at times, but otherwise she seemed quite at home in the romantic idiom.

with the short clips its hard to get a true sense of the characterization as a whole, but I'd love the chance to see more!

edited to add--I really really wish they'd included the wonderful entrance of Giselle in act II--I would imagine that would be breathtaking.

I saw the clips too, multiple times. I loved Osipova's Kitri, she's phenomenal. And, I was pleasantly surprised by her Giselle, it was a good debut. I was afraid that I'd be seeing wide smiles and bounciness everywhere, but what I saw was a respect for the role and it's history and it's place in ballet.

That being said, I'd like to see more versions on youtube or some other sites (or DVDs). I don't think she'll ever BE Giselle, the way Alina C (not the other one, who shouldn't be allowed near the role) Uliana, Irma, Altynai, or the modern dancers. Still, she has done a wonderful job and I am happy with what I saw!

While it's hard to judge from such short videos, I agree whith aurora's assessment of them - very well put! And I even managed to find a (translated) review!

Both Nadya and Michail shared initial apprehensions that they were going to see a very 'flamboyant', Kitri-ish (Don Quixote) interpretation. Natalia Osipova is already world famous for this performance. Both were very pleasantly surprised that this wasn't the case.
Michail remarks that he was concerned that he might be seeing a lot of 'athleticism'. He comments that the jumps, etc. were indeed huge--but done with amazing Gracefulness. He says that he has never seen anything like this before and that this is now the new standard as far as he is concerned. He thought it was Amazing ! He also philosophizes about how something like this is in Another Realm.

http://www.ballet-dance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29989

The comments are (as typical on youtube) largely quite hostile and seem excessively final considering the viewer has only seen a few seconds of an entire ballet. I'm not sure I can make a proclamation on someone's Giselle based on that amt of information.

Sadly the same people crop up with similar comments on all the clips of Osipova, always making disparaging remarks that in no way relate to the quality of her dancing. I think it's spite rather than anything else, I've always felt there is a lunatic fringe among ballet goers and the you tube regulars seem to prove that.

Sadly the same people crop up with similar comments on all the clips of Osipova, always making disparaging remarks that in no way relate to the quality of her dancing. I think it's spite rather than anything else, I've always felt there is a lunatic fringe among ballet goers and the you tube regulars seem to prove that.

I concur.

The funny thing is that in *theory* those on the Osipova thread are ones with which I would agree...if they were directed at someone else!

They bemoan (as we often do here) the trend towards nothing more than athleticism, legs up to ears, etc. While Osipova *is* clearly athletic, she does not seem to me to be someone who should be derided as a sort of gymnastic freak (like a certain person in the Kirov--who generally ISN'T criticized for such things on the youtube comments).

I think its best to not even read them...but its so tempting!! Occasionally I even contribute ;)

Re Osipova -- The YouTube clips of her in the Corsaire pas de deux show her to be a superb adagio dancer. Beautiful line in her working leg in attitude, effortless placement, very poetic -- She also carries her arabesque through her back and up into her shoulders in a way to die for --

Musically, she articulates to adagio music with sureness and subtletly -- passing from arabesque to alongee for example on a musical cue that's very eloquent and melody like.

Her developpee is also just gorgeous -- I love the way she brings up the thigh and only then extends the end of the leg and with such ease, the coordination there is very striking.

Altogether, it makes me think that she's not predominatly a demi-caractere dancer in type (despite her great Don Q and that clip of her in the Fille de Pharaon with all the taquetrie and beats) --

This is an amazing talent; don't forget how young inexperienced, and a little raw she still is.