This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Suggestions for the next Dance in America

Swan Lake's done. What ballet (or ballets) you would like to see next on Great Performances/Dance in America? Specifics on company, dancers, and your reasons will be welcome!

I'd go for a Balanchine evening, but NOT involving Peter Martins (deadening commentary). Maybe an everning of shorter ballets, one each by San Francisco, Pacific Northwest, Miami, Farrell and other options. No reason why NYCB couldn't participate as an equal. Maybe there could be a competition among companies which dedicate real attention to the Balanchine legacy. Theme and Variations and Agon would photograph wonderfully.

I'd go for a Balanchine evening. . . . Maybe an everning of shorter ballets, one each by San Francisco, Pacific Northwest, Miami, Farrell and other options.

Bart for Great Performances Executive Producer! Great, great idea!

I'd like to include Concerto Barocco. Pennsylvania used to do this beautifully, but that was, like, almost 30 years ago. :) I have no idea how, or even whether, they still dance it.

I'd also love to see Symphony in C preserved in a good state, although that might be very difficult to film. Perhaps even (before it's forgotten) by POB (okay, that isn't really Dance in America) as Palais de Cristal.

Last season, PA Ballet danced Concerto Barocco beautifully.

:) I'm really not supposed to post here for the next month or so, as I'm studying for the NY bar exam and working at the same time, but I just had to plug my local company.

From the producer of DIA, I was told that next year there will be an Ailey special and the year after there will be a Jerome Robbins doc. And possibily more American Ballet Theatre (which has a strong relationship with DIA right now) programs. Not much, but there it is.

I like your first suggestion, about the multicompany Balanchine extravaganza. If it ever happens, they should tape LeBlanc in Square Dance. And ABT in Ballet Imperial, if they have that connection with DIA. Or Mozartiana. Serenade would be nice too, and Symphony In C. And I absolutely agree about Barocco. For non-Balanchine, how about Dances at a Gathering? Symphonic Variations? Am I greedy, or what? :tiphat: