This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Unusual Cameos...

Mainline Times: Putting it Together (Article on two behind-the-scenes anchors of Pennsylvania Ballet: Martha Koeneman, pianist & Tony Constandino, Stage Manager)

I have been smiling ever since I read the following:

Other scenes with production challenges include the large-scale duel between the feuding Montagues and Capulets and a grand ball with elaborately dressed lords and ladies. Costandino himself will be one of the lords in the opening scene. It's the only time when he leaves his backstage post to appear onstage. Trained in theater, he'll play Lord Montague and even engage in a swordfight with Lord Capulet.
[italics &i boldface mine]

When someone has served an institution for as long as either of these two have [Koeneman: 32 years; Constandino: 22 years], particularly considering how many changes of administration a ballet company can go through, they become an institution in their own right. There are generations of dancers grateful to the two of them.

Is it not unusual for a stage manager engage in on-stage swordplay?

Great story. Are there any other examples of out-of-the-ordinary stage appearances that Ballet Talkers can think of.

Also, is there any tradition in ballet of a small role or cameo occasionally being taken on by a great performer, as the Italian Tenor in Rosenkavalier. (I'll never forget Pavorotti surprising everyone at the Met when we saw his name in the program for this single-aria role.)

I was wondering also if this was a rarity among companies. Martha is such a beloved staff member of PABallet. Her role is Robbin's The Concert was hilarious as the concert pianist. On top of being on stage playing during that ballet, she played beautifully for Wheeldon's "Continuem" also in this program. I was glad to greet her after a performance to congratulate her for her fine playing. She was all smiles and exclaiming how much she loved doing this show and working with these dancers......the dancers adore her as well! And PABallet's rehearsals would not be the same without her playing I have been told......... I was elated that the newspaper did an article on her! She is a treasure.

Kevin McKenzie of ABT did "judgement of Paris" at their Gala this spring. It was a hoot. He played an elderly drunk watching old dancers in a parisian bistro. Interesting on many levels.

THeir brochure for their fall season will include JoP, I wonder if Mr. Mcmillan will reprise his performances, or will the unions insist on using a paid dancer or actor. Might be a good role for a comedian with stage presence.