This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Performances: Week 7

Wednesday 6/8

Bursting onto the stage to disrupt the line-up of girls at the start of SYMPHONY IN 3 MOVEMENTS, Adam Hendrickson was like a lightning bolt. He was soon joined by Ashley Bouder and the two of them were so full of life; taking advantage of every bounce, with Ashley tapping her foot to head at a couple of points, they seemed to be having a blast. Hope they'll be paired up again...many times. Wendy & Jock gave an ironic quality to the pas de deux, their gestures perfectly timed. Ellen Bar and Adrian Danchig-Waring were appealing; Bar has upped her star quality several levels this season and Adrian's long arms and space-devouring dance made a fine impression. Demi-solistes and the corps were very good, as was the conducting of Carolyn Kuan.

OCTET was really very lovely tonight; the score is so airy and melodic, beautifully played. Aside from the slightly over-long adagio, the piece is nicely choreographed. Fairchild & de Luz were very enjoyable here, a perfect showcase for their partnership as well as spotlighting their individual gifts. Megan's hands can tend to be slightly "clawed" at times; that could be easily remedied. They seemed to be having alot of fun tonight. Alexandra Ansanelli, her hair sightly spangled with glitter, was just wondeful - her lyricism, fluent technique and extremely attractive face keep the opera glasses glued to her whenever she is dancing. Jared Angle was likewise very fine; tall & with very muscular thighs, he moves beautifully and partners easily. The two trios of boys in this ballet have their work cut out for them...non-stop bravura dancing one might expect from principals. Carmena & Suozzi are featured, and they danced up a storm; Andrew Veyette made an especially strong effect - as he has in other ballets this season - and Danchig-Waring again took advantage of every opportunity. Aaron Severini and Tyler Angle completed the cast of this very enjoyable piece; the entire cast was warmly applauded.

I skipped WEST SIDE STORY.

Carbro-- Brilliant commentary as always. Next Thursday. I'll rush home to miss "Carnival of the animals." I do not love "Double Feature," but I sure do love Tom Gold and Sofie and ashley and alexandra. I was thrilled to see Kathryn Morgan from SaB dncing tonight since I found her to be the star of the workshop of June 4. Brava Kathryn.

Double Feature: Why bother? There was so little dancing in this, I hardly felt like I was at the ballet. Especially in the first half of The Blue Necklace. But the costumes were gorgeous, and it was intermittently entertaining. I did like the party scene at Dorothy Brooks mansion. All of the dancers were superb - including Sylve (subbing for Kowroski), Woetzel, Gold, Ansanelli and the 2 little girls - but Bouder stole the show. Boy did she sparkle. The moment she came on stage was the moment this became interesting, and not just an old silent film melodrama. Making Whoopee was a little faster moving, and provided a great role for Tom Gold, but when I want to see a musical comedy I go to Broadway, not the State Theatre. On the other hand, the audience loved it.

Jimmattimore, glad you mentioned Kathryn Morgan from the SAB workshop. I too thought she was a stand-out and was surprised that she wasn't a "Weinee." Could you tell me what she did at NYCB, as I too will pass the Double Features. Why does it seem when now that are oodles and oodles of terrific dancers at all levels (principal, solosit and corps) that there is so little real rep (read Balanchine ballets) to keep them shining. Bah humbug!!