This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fonteyn biography wins STR Theatre Book prize

Thanks for this, redbookish, and welcome to BalletTalk! :)

It is just fabulous that ballet got this recognition -- or at least a work devoted to one of ballet's most celebrated practitioners. Clicking --> here <-- will get you to STR's homepage. Scroll down to "Act V, Scene 3" for the notice. I am more than a little shocked at the number of obvious errors of language on a supposedly literate (or at least literary) site :tiphat: . And they're not even American!

I hope you'll drop by often and keep us posted on what you're seeing -- and reading!

Thanks for the welcome. I spend rather a lot (too much!!!) of time on Ballet Talk for Dancers, and don't get to this side of the board often enough. As for the STR web-site spelling & so on, I can only say that I think the document was put together quite quickly after the AGM, and taken from various speakers' notes and e-mails, and obviously some glitches weren't proof-read out :) . The STR is run by true amateurs (as in lovers of the art), so sometimes these things happen... As for my reading now, I'm procrastinating on an editor's deadline for a chapter on Ibsen and Realism for a book on British theatre. Not much ballet in that, I'm afraid ...

Ibsen and ballet. An interesting juxtaposition, redbookish -- and not impossible. Sorry that this is off-topic, but here's my question. Other than Peer Gynt, have any of Ibsen's plays been used as the basis of a ballet, as Birgit Cullberg did with Strindberg's Miss Julie?

I MOVED THIS QUESTION TO ITS OWN THREAD.

Edited by bart
WOw, it beat out the 3 volume Cambridge histry of English Theatre....

Yes, a couple of the judges comment on this in the comments that the STR web-site publishes. I'm reviewing the Cambridge History right now for a scholarly journal, and it's an extraordinary intellectual undertaking. But I think the STR tries to keep a nice balance between scholarly and more generalist books. This is one of the organisation's strong points as a meeting place for academics and enthusiasts (not that the two categories are mutually exclusive!).

Hi!  I wondered whether anyone had read the Fonteyn biolgraphy and if so what your thoughts were on reading it.  I had some mixed thoughts on the book and I am a great admirer of Fonteyn and saw her dance many times.

There were many responses on initial publication on this thread:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...opic=17923&st=0

We welcome additional thoughts from those who've read it since that time.