This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I would like to get a DVD (or videotape) of Don Q before we see the Bolshoi in a few weeks.

Amazon (yes, through the BA link ...) has the 198? Baryshnikov/ABT version and the 1973 Nureyev/Australian Ballet version on DVD, and the Kirov version on VHS only.

After a search here, I've concluded that people like the one they have ... I've seen all three recommended. Can anyone advise me which version to get? Overall, I prefer DVD, but if the Kirov version is markedly better I would like advice on whether to get the VHS now or wait for the DVD coming in November.

The POB version is the Nureyev version...originally stages for Australia.

I'd get the Kirov's as it is the most complete &, to me, best danced. That's where you'll see the intricate patterns of the Dream Scene that are lacking in all other versions, including the latest Bolshoi edition.

By the way the 1999 Fadeechev version -- what the Bolshoi currently performs -- was filmed starring NinaAnaniashvili and Andrei Uvarov & sold on VHS (Russian SECAM system) in Russia. It used to be sold in the Bolshoi shop but, for the past couple of years, has disappeared. It has never come out on DVD in Russia...only VHS. I thought that surely it would have made its way to the US market by now but, no.... Perhaps it isn't here because there's another Nina Ananiashvili Don Q already in the North American market (the Kultur - Perm Ballet version)? One wonders.

There's also the POB version out on dvd. The POB corps is amazing although it's the Nureyev production. The etoiles Manuel Legris and Aurelie Dupont have the typical Parisian precision.

This is ravishing, one of the best things I've ever seen. Well, one of the things about 'Parisian precision' I most like is that it's 'typical'. They're both just superb, and so true about the POB corps, they are peerless. I also always seem to like the costumes by POB better than any other company's.