This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I recently watched a 1980 video of Natalia Makarova's production of LA BAYADERE at Lincoln Center Library. Makarova danced Nikiya and Anthony Dowell danced Solor. I hadn't seen this staging since watching it on Live From Lincoln Center 24 years ago and it brought back many happy memories. I'd forgotten how stunning the production looked, but I was really wowed by Makarova's gorgeously danced Nikiya. In my opinion, her Bayadere is up there with her portrayals of Giselle and Odette. Who are some other memorable Nikiyas?

Melissa

:D Yes, it was interesting to watch Nioradze, Gumerova and Vishneva when they danced Nikiya on their tour... They visited Detroit in 2003, and performed La Bayadere 6 times... I was backstage and took part of the performance.. It was wonderful to be able to compare the 3 Nikiyas and see each one twice :):P

Yes, Martine van Hamel was thrilling...and just last month I thought Svetlana Zakharova's Nikiya at ABT seemed luminous.

What I always remember so vividly about van Hamel was her beautifully expressive hands (not that she was lacking anything elsewhere...) She could give master-classes in HANDS, a neglected aspect of dance these days, in my opinion.