This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

City Ballet corps dancers

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there are some nice photos of some of the NYCB corps dancers in the May 10th issue of NEW YORK magazine...the dancers are not identified but I recognize Reichlin, Dronova, Beskow and Faye Arthurs...and Kyle Froman looks pretty sexy.

I think it is "last week's issue" as I got the last copy at the newstand. But most vendors keep their unsold copies for a day or two before returning them for credit; so you should still be able to find it...or at the library. The cover shows some guy with his pant-legs rolled up standing in pond. I think putting Dronova & Froman on the cover would have sold more copies!

OK. Froman must be the one who's leaping behind Tess Reichlen--I couldn't see the head enough to recognize specific features.

I don't think the garments are particularly outstanding, although they do move beautifully....somehow the visual effect is marred by the necessity of having a leotard or bodystocking on, even if it is a thousand dollar leotard. That made me gag, I'm sorry.....

One learns something new every day. I didn't realize it was Balanchine who

The great choreographer revolutionized dance, not least by allowing his dancers to let down their hair and escape their traditional tutus in favor of more flowing costumes.

Not the least indeed.

Off to start preserveisadoraslegacy.com

Off to start preserveisadoraslegacy.com

I'd welcome your Duncan website and give it due support! :)

I would have preferred straight modeling of these gowns by the ballet dancers. They would have looked stunning just standing in them, with their hair down and the dresses properly done up. This leotard/dress falling off while in ballet motion combo photography has no appeal for me. Oh well! At least the NYCB got some more press. That's always a good thing!

Does anyone remember the spread that Antonia Franceschi, Lourdes Lopez, and Carole Divet did sometime in the '80's, in which they wore vintage Fortuny dresses? I can't remember if it was in Elle, or a different magazine. The "action" shots were more like Martha Swope photos. The dancers looked gorgeous in the dresses.

Going back even further, how about the spread in Town & Country shortly after Vienna Waltzes had its premiere? The principal women were featured, as well as young corps members Kyra Nichols and Maria Calegari.