This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bald ballerinas

Who remembers the beautiful head of hair Helgi Tomasson had when he danced with NYCB? Now, there was a hunky ballerino. (Still is!)

Oh, yes, Marga, I surely do. But I do wish he'd kept it the original color instead of letting age take its course. He should have followed Eddie Villella's lead in this. :wink:

I kind of wish Eddie had followed Helgi's lead (finding the former's black hair a little too black, at best). I like both versions of Helgi, each in its time.

Interesting to notice the silvery strands on Tom Gold's head not too long ago (on the street). I'm not sure he kept it, though.

And doesn't Maria Tallchief look beautiful with gray hair and such a youthful face!

Dido, I wish I knew more--I'm pretty sure she said it was a professional company, although not a very high-level one, and quite small. The woman was short, so she was placed in the front of the corps, and my grandmother said she danced very beautifully/movingly. That's about all I know--she can't remember much about it herself, although I'd really like to know what the company was, who the dancer was if possible.