This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Selznick for a day: YOU cast "Gone With the Wind, the Ballet"

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 07 October 2000 - 07:49 PM

Okay. It's irresistible. Here's the deal.

You get to/have to produce "Gone With the Wind, the Ballet." You have an unlimited budget. It can be a one-act abstract ballet, or stretch over seven -- count 'em -- seven days and nights. You get to pick the company. You may invite guest stars.

CAST GONE WITH THE WIND, THE BALLET. Production details optional. (And remember, there are artistic directors and their staffs who read this board, so if any of what you write turns out to be see the stage, it will be your fault Posted Image )

#2 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 October 2000 - 08:58 PM

On 2nd thought, Weese should portray Kathy in Wuthering Heights.

The search for Scarlett begins!

#3 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 07 October 2000 - 10:04 PM

Jeny Ringer
Lucia Lacarra
or...my favourite for this:

Viviana Durante.
(Let's hear it for Passionate Outbursts!)

I am stuck, stuck, stuck for Rhett....maybe Irek Mukhamedov? It can't be someone callow...

No one BUT Peter Boal could do Ashley.

Melanie is sweet Julie Kent.

Prissy : I'm stuck. No one who's an African American woman dancing ballet now can be that gutless and dopey....it would have to be the acting job of the century.

You know very well Mark Morris would just love to wear a turban and do The Big Deal role....

This is a start....unfortunately, I am not a big GWTW aficionada....

#4 The Bard's Ballerina

The Bard's Ballerina

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 October 2000 - 04:09 PM

I like Juliet's choices, but as a Southerner for half my life (and former Atlantan), I feel obliged to contribute for myself (even though my mandatory adolescent-Southern-girl GWTW phase ended a good 20 years ago).

SCARLETT: I think Viviana Durante's a good choice, alternating with Sylvie Guillem.
RHETT: Edward Villella, about 30 years ago, of course.
ASHLEY: I'd go with Charles Askegaard. Blonde, beautiful, and way too good for Scarlett.
MELANIE: Julie Kent, hands down. The role she was born to play.
MAMMY AND PRISSY: I think these would both have to be "en travestie" roles, so I'd go with Mark Morris for Mammy as well (great casting there, Juliet). I can't come up with a good Prissy, though. Actually, I bet Donald Williams (DTH) would have a blast with the part.

RUNNING TIME: I thought the original four hours of the movie was a bit much, so I think we'll need to keep it to three max, or our weeknight audiences are gonna be deserting in droves at the intermission (because they have to get up early, not because they hate the ballet!).

MUSIC: I have no idea. Maybe Beethoven. Yes, definitely Beethoven.

[This message has been edited by The Bard's Ballerina (edited October 08, 2000).]

#5 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 08 October 2000 - 04:23 PM

Actually, if we could handle some Danes or French in there, how about Manuel Legris or Nicolas Le Riche for Rhett, Elisabeth Maurin or Gudrun Bojesen for Melanie. Maybe Kenneth Greve for Ashley?

I'd give Silja Schandorff a crack at Scarlett and Jenny Ringer one at Melanie if they could exchange hair Posted Image . I think Weese, Boal and Askegard are good choices as mentioned before as well!

------------------
Leigh Witchel - dae@panix.com
[url="http://"http://members.aol.com/lwitchel"]Personal Page and Dance Writing[/url]
[url="http://"http://members.aol.com/dnceasever"]Dance as Ever[/url]

#6 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 08 October 2000 - 05:21 PM

I donít have any problem in finding my Scarlett: Diana Vishneva.
She once confessed to love GWTW and was charmed by the fact that people thought she had something of Scarlett in her. Here's your Scarlett ! Posted Image

#7 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 08 October 2000 - 06:06 PM

Leigh, I have to ask what qualities you see in Schandorff that would suit her to Scarlett??? (In Danish employ, haircolor is not incidental Posted Image )

#8 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 08 October 2000 - 08:57 PM

Since this is clearly a timeless production, I'd vote for Tamara Toumanova as Scarlett.

#9 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 October 2000 - 11:19 PM

Actually, if we can cast from the past, I might think about Moira Shearer. Bruce Marks comes to mind as a potential Rhett, and I totally agree about Julie Kent as Melanie.

#10 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 08 October 2000 - 11:40 PM

I thought of Alsymuratova as Scarlett.

Giannina

#11 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 09 October 2000 - 06:46 AM

Alexandra - re Schandorff, there's just something mischievous about her I sense hidden. I think it wouldn't be hard for her to tap into that for a Scarlett.

#12 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 09 October 2000 - 09:23 AM

But she's an adagio dancer, and Scarlett is pure allegro. Scarlett had trouble merely sitting still, and Silja is the current embodiment of the Danish classical harmony and stillness. (Scarlett is THE great demicaractere ballerina role, I think.)

#13 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 09 October 2000 - 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Leigh Witchel:
Actually, if we could handle some Danes or French in there, how about Manuel Legris or Nicolas Le Riche for Rhett, Elisabeth Maurin or Gudrun Bojesen for Melanie.  Maybe Kenneth Greve for Ashley?

Perhaps I've been too influenced by the movie (I've read the book too, but it was long ago), but I really have trouble imagining Legris as Rhett (I wonder what he would look like with a moustache and darker hair...) On the other hand, I agree about Le Riche (he already had a moustache in Petit's "Le Guepard", and it suited him quite well Posted Image )

What was Melanie supposed to look like? In my memory, she didn't look like Maurin, but except that I think that the personality of the character would suit her well.

About Ashley: I can't help remembering the guy who played that role in the movie (he didn't look bright at all in my opinion), and so trying to imagine Peter Boal in his role is a bit odd.

What about the smaller roles? Scarlett's parents, her sisters, her two previous husbands (not very flattering roles, I'm afraid), Aunt Pittypat...

#14 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 09 October 2000 - 12:20 PM

If we open up casting to the dead, I'd go for Pavlova and Mordkin as Scarlett and Rhett.

Estelle, most people at the time thought Leslie Howard was Absolutely Wrong for Ashley -- including, reportedly, Howard, who said, "I am neither young enough, nor beautiful enough, for Ashley." Ruined the movie for many, since the whole point of Ashley was that he was perfect: handsome, intelligent, athletic -- best horseman and best shot in the county -- and he just wanted to loll around and read poetry with Melanie. (In my family, Clark Gable was even a worst casting choice, as he "wasn't as gentleman." My aunt was a passionate supporter of Robert Montgomery for the part, but I think this was a minority opinion.)

#15 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 09 October 2000 - 12:32 PM

Estelle, I must say a few words in defense of Leslie Howard. I think he did his best under the circumstances -- he didn't like the role of Ashley, felt he was too old, and was basically forced into the movie at gunpoint. (Little did he know that The Petrified Forest, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and Pygmalion would fade in memory while GWTW went on and on and on.)

Probably some of these roles should be just straight mime roles -- Scarlett's mother Ellen, who has a small but crucial role, should not dance, for example. She's too dignified to dance.

If Frederick Ashton were still with us he would be perfect casting for Aunt Pittypat. (I can just see him calling for his smelling salts!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):