This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Contentious issue?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 03:35 PM

I wonder if dancing in "Le Jeune Homme et la Mort" has the same effect? :mad:

#32 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 01:14 AM

Actually she might have mentioned it too- but in "Le jeune homme et la Mort", the cast isn't very large ;-)

#33 Guest_Antony_*

Guest_Antony_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 20 November 2002 - 05:41 AM

Originally posted by Pamela Moberg
I have a feeling that this discussion is becoming a bit silly.

Hmmm... well, maybe, but that wasn't the intention.

I'd be really interested to hear a bit more from people like Diane, who can offer some first-hand insight in to what kind of effects smoking can have on physical performance. Her comment about not needing prolonged power, only short bursts, was particularly interesting. Do others find this to be the case? Seeing dancers sweating and breathing heavily after they've performed a really long 'puffy' piece (pun intended) convinces me that dancing does have its demanding moments - but how long is long?

A.

#34 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 08:08 AM

I've been taught that dance is both aerobic and anaerobic--in other words, you have to work in short bursts of energy, but you have to do that for a long time. Consider the typical ballet class--short combinations performed throughout 1.5+ hours.

#35 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 01:25 AM

Yes, Hans. A lot depends on how the class is put together and how demanding the performance was the night before, etc.
(I am speaking/writing of company class here)

In my own experience, which is of course entirely subjective, class was not especially aeorbic in the way a run or even a hike up a mountain would be.
In class there are always - if short - breaks in between exercises, and there one can catch one's breath.

What was difficult - in my time - were longer variations... think Myrta in Giselle.
I am sure there are at least several others where the dancers have to run around a whole lot.

But in the general class-room and rehearsal situation, I did not find Ballet to be particularly aeorbic, and therefore felt hardly any adverse effects from smoking in that regard.

-diane-

#36 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 04:15 AM

I had a Physical Conditioning NCO while I was in the Air Force ask me why I always came up well in the annual PC tests, and I told him about my being a dancer. He demurred, saying that ballet wasn't aerobic. I just invited him to watch a class at the old Miami Conservatory. After it was over, he just said, "Whoa! This is aerobic! I gotta do a paper on this!" And so he did, for Air Training Command. I think around 1973. I don't know if it's been released for the general public. His conclusion was that ballet is aerobic after a certain technical level has been reached.

#37 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 04:22 AM

personally, i think whether or not a ballet class is aerobic often depends on the class/the teacher (and also, sometimes, the student's attitude/commitment/participation level)...

in my experience, company class is often more aerobic than teaching/training classes. (and of course, following class with rehearsals is far more likely to become an aerobic challenge).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):