This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Oh, this is sad. People make gentle fun of prog rock now, but they really were trying to explore the limits of what they felt their genre could do.

Not as much as you might think - there's actually a lot of young musicians held in thrall by prog/art rock albums like "Close to the Edge", "Pipers at the Gates of Dawn", "In the Court of the Crimson King", "Country Life", and yes, ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery". It's actually quite fun to watch someone discover these albums for the first time, (and these days, there are many excellent remastered versions being put on the market). It reminds me of what it was like when I first listened to this music - it was easy to get lost in that world.

Emerson was one of my early music heroes, though my interest in ELP waned over time. They never had quite the creative depth and dynamic range of groups like Genesis (with Peter Gabriel), King Crimson, Roxy Music, Yes, and Pink Floyd (and I could go one). However, Keith Emerson is rightly regarded as the very first progressive rock musician/composer (with The Nice), and he was certainly the most accomplished rock/pop musician I had heard up to that time.

4 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

Former bandmate Greg Lake has joined Keith in prog heaven.

That IS depressing. Rest in peace, Greg.

He had gotten to be really heavy, and it definitely looked like some kind of big health issue (besides simply over-eating). Apparently he had some type of cancer, but I haven't seen any details on that.