This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Prix de Lausanne 2002

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 09:20 AM

It's on now. I joined it about 15 minutes in progress & saw a wonderful guy dance DON Q, the Moldovan, Dinu Tamazlacaru...and brought down the house! Yuhui Choe - a Korean female - is about to go on in Raymonda dream var. And they show 'em backstage after each variation, too, hugging coaches, etc.The thrill of victory...the agony of defeat. This is so cool. Join me, please!

[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: Jeannie ]

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 10:53 AM

Well...as it appears that I may be the only nut who got up early to watch this, I'll go out on the limb. Three numbers were performed this final round by each finalist: classical, madatory contemporary (from solos learned this past week) & 'free round' (either a classical or contemporary solo of competitor's own choosing..almost all chose contemporary for this 3rd number). Stand outs for me:

Among men, Dinu of Moldova has an awesome technique, nice line & total-charisma. Audience seemed to really be with him. Matt of Canada really did himself well with the 3rd number, a contemporary piece titled 'Odyssey.' Was OK in earlier 'Corsaire'...I love his positions but seems a bit youngish (not so muscular as other 4 guys remaining in competition). All in all, I see Matt just behind the Moldovan, who is the stand-out among men for me. Of course, one can't count out the Russian lad, Vitali, for one of the top spots, due to the passion with which he performed his 3rd number...but I prefer Dinu's & Matt's lines.

Among women....well, the two gals who I saw in Moscow IBC last year are neck-to-neck for top honors. I give the zippy spitfire Maria Kochetkova of Moscow (Bolshoi school) the edge after a SPECTACULAR Kitri Act I variation!!!!! As at th Moscow IBC, Milena Sidorova of Ukraine -- all-legs, pliant body - hair down to her knees -- was queen of the contemporary numbers...but didn't impress me so much in her initial classical variation. She is big, tall, powerful, danced her 3rd number with the force of a man (although she is slim). If contemporary talent outweighs the 'overall picture' then Milena could win Grand Priz. Let's see. The other stand-outs were Korea's Seo-Yeun Yu -- tall, slender, gorgeous, dances like liquid gold, esp in 3rd number, contemporary 'Pavane.' I saw the USA's lone finalist, Ginger Smith in the 2nd & 3rd numbers - she was lovely in 2nd (contemporary mandatory) but seemed to lack the Kitri Fire in 3rd number...especially when compared to Russia's Maria Kochetkova. Just a matter of style; Ginger still has a chance to win a prize. I also like Ms. Kang of Korea in her 3rd number, Igor Belsky's 'Carmen,' performed with the right attitude & sexy long lines. Yuhui Choe of Korea was yet another stunner...gee, hard to decide. Good luck, judges...and competitors, of course!

So I stuck out my neck. Let's see what happens!! Prizes to be announced at 12 noon, Washington, DC time (18:05 in Lausanne-time). Not sure if I'll be able to tune in 'cause I have other things to do but I will definitely post results.

[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: Jeannie ]

#18 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 10:56 AM

jeannie!
i watched about an hour and of what i saw i think i agree with you! the video was a little choppy for me even though i have a cable modem, did you have the same problem? anyway i can't wait for the results, see you on line!
patricia

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 11:04 AM

Hi, Patricia - So there's at least TWO of us out here in cyberspace!! It was a bit choppy for me, too but, hey, it's cheaper than flying to Switzerland! smile.gif

#20 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 11:11 AM

I'm sorry I missed it -- I just logged on, but it was over. I just don't have any free time this week. Webcasts are a great idea, though! More in the future.

Thanks for posting all the news, Jeannie. I think this forum is turning out to be both useful and fun smile.gif

#21 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 12:41 PM

Congratulations to Ukraine's Milena Sidorova, who took to top-top prize!!! Ochien kharasho!!! Matthew Golding and Maria Kochetkova also took high prizes. I couldn't hear all of the proceedings well so I'll wait to post the official list, once it is up on the Prix de L site. One of the Korean girls (San Yu Han, I think...) also won one of the highest prizes.

More later. Anyone who heard all of the results...feel free to post it.

Gotta run...work...

#22 felursus

felursus

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 12:46 PM

I, too, watched the prize ceremony. I didn't have sound for most of it, so I had no idea what the woman (forgot her name) was saying. I could only hear what the man was saying - and he used a term I couldn't find in my French dictionary (Yes, I keep one by my computer) - it sounded like "sagie" - but that could be the poor sound quality. Could someone French please help? confused.gif

#23 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 03:28 PM

Here's the full list of awards. Note that Milena Sidorova won not only one of the top prizes (scholarship) but also the TV Viewers Choice Award! And special 'congrats' to Matthew Golding of Canada -- top North American at this competition), also a scholarship winner...makethat TWO scholarships for Kirov Academy entries -- both Matthew and Korea's Hyo-Jun Kang!!! Likewise, big 'congrats' to Ginger Smith of the USA, who copped an 'Encouragement Prize.'

Whew...I think I'm getting pretty good a picking these winners, eh? wink.gif On to the next competitions - Nagoya, Japan, in mid-February and Nureyev Prix-Budapest in mid-March. I might be 'live' in Budapest if my next work-related trip to Europe is scheduled correctly.

LIST OF PRIZE WINNERS
****source Prix de Lausanne website

Winners
(070) Ms Yuhui CHOE, Korea
Mayumi Ballet School, Japan
Centre d'art chorégraphique franco-japonais, France

Prize provided by: The main sponsor of the Prix de Lausanne : Beau-Rivage Palace

(111) Mr Matthew GOLDING, Canada
Sitter School of Dance, Canada
The Kirov Academy of Ballet, Washington, USA
Prize provided by: Fondation Antoine Leenaards

(093) Ms Maria KOTCHETKOVA, Russia
Ecole du Bolshoï, Moscow, Russia

Prize provided by : UBS SA

(123) Mr Dinu TAMAZLACARU, Moldavia
Ecole de Ballet de Chisinou, Moldavia
Conservatoire de Vienne, Austria

Prize provided by: Capital International

(109) Mr Maksat KOUBANYCHBEK, Kirghizistan
Ecole chorégraphique de Bichkek, Kirghizistan

Prize provided by: The Marina Kleinwort Trust

(003) Ms Milena SIDOROVA, Ukraine
Ecole chorégraphique de Kiev, Ukraine

Prize provided by: Fondation Harafi

(019) Ms Soo-Youn CHO, Korea
SunHwa Arts High School, Seoul, Korea

Prize provided by: Donatrice anonyme

(053) Ms Hyo Jung KANG, Korea
The Kirov Academy of Ballet, Washington, USA

Prize provided by: Cartier

PRIX DE LAUSANNE "HOPE"

Winner
(005) Ms Hitomi TAKEDA, Japan
Hakucho Ballet Academy, Nagano, Japan

Prize provided by: Fondation Notaire André Rochat

"CONTEMPORARY DANCE PRIZE"

Winner
(070) Ms Yuhui CHOE, Korea
Mayumi Ballet School, Japan
Centre d'art chorégraphique franco-japonais, France

Prize provided by: Fondation Nestlé pour l'Art

PRIX DE lAUSANNE "BEST SWISS CANDIDATE"

Winner
(014) Ms Carrie-Ann VAIL, Switzerland
Priska's Ballett und Tanz Atelier
Opernhausballettschule, Zurich

Prize provided by: Fondation Antoine Leenaards

In addition, 1000.- Swiss francs to encourage the candidates have been given by BOBST SA to:
Finalists
(116) Mr Arman GRIGORYAN, Armenia
Ecole de Ballet de Yerevan, Armenia
Haïfa Ballet School, Israel
(035) Ms Sang Yi HAN, Korea
Yewon School,
Seoul Art High School, Korea
(118) Mr Vitali SAFRONKINE, Russia
Ecole de Ballet d'Oufa, Russia
Schweizerisches Ballettberufsschule, Zurich, Switzerland
(033) Ms Yurie MATSUURA, Japan
Kurosawa Tomoko Ballet Studio, Iwate, Japan
(038) Ms Seo-yeon Yu, Korea
Yewon School Arts School
SunHwa Arts High School, Seoul, Korea
(077) Ms Ginger SMITH, USA
Arizona Ballet School, USA

"VIEWERS' PRIZE"

Winner
(003) Ms Milena SIDOROVA, Ukraine
Ecole chorégraphique de Kiev, Ukraine

Prize provided by: Télévision Suisse Romande

#24 Babou

Babou

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 09:32 AM

Special message for Felursus :the man was saying "il s'agit de:"and that means approximately "speaking about",or" that means ",or "we are mentionning" I hope I succeeded in translating !as you didn't hear what the lady was first talking aboutthe students without naming them ,saying: Coming from the bolshoî or the Nagano school of ballet a student who......then the man had in charge to mention the name.

#25 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 04 February 2002 - 05:12 PM

We know who won the one-year scholarships & prize money for living expenses but do we know what schools have been selected by the winners? The choice is up to each winning dancer & they can select among the schools affiliated with NYCB (SAB), England & Denmark's Royal Ballets, the Vaganova Academy, Vienna, National Ballet of Canada school, etc. I can picture Milena Sidorova of Ukraine at SAB - she's a long-legged colt who is not afraid to take risks. Very powerful in every sense of the word. I thought of Balanchine as I saw her at last year's Moscow IBC. Not your typical Petipa Porcelain Princess!

The press releases from Lausanne provide no clues. Then again, perhaps the winners are still deciding where they will go.

One other thing - the press releases make no mention of 'Apprentice Scholarships' being awarded this year. Perhaps the jury was not convinced that any of the dancers is ready for professional life just yet? All of the prizes awarded in 2002 are traditional 'Scholarships,' rather than 'Apprentice Scholarships.' [Last year, one dancer won the apprentice variety of scholarship - Ludovic Ondiviela. It doesn't happen too often.]

[ February 04, 2002: Message edited by: Jeannie ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):