New York City Ballet in Montreal, vols. 1 & 2Orpheus, Serenade, Concero Barocco, Agon, Apollo

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#76 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:33 PM

I’m especially pleased, after having seen all the George Platte Lynes photos, to finally see Magallenes and Moncion in moving pictures. They do not disappoint!

The dancer who blew me away, though, was Patricia Wilde:  what a dynamic dancer she was!

Patricia Wilde stood out for me as well - what a force of nature! Serenade is well danced throughout, but Wilde exudes confidence and skill - she has the movements down cold, and yet she still looks thrilled to perform them.

Adams dances with more "concern" if that makes sense. She may have been Balanchine's most favorite muse of all, but she was not emotionally up to the task, if you believe her own comments and those of fellow dancers. Too emotionally frail for the role of 'Muse to Balanchine'.

#77 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

Vol. 3 will be released July 1, 2014, with excerpts from Swan Lake and Coppelia

http://www.amazon.co...let in montreal

#78 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the heads-up!

#79 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the heads-up!

Yes, thanks. I still haven't seen the L'Clerq documentary, though I have a copy on order. Is the Coppelia pas in the documentary?

#80 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:58 PM

I don't remember it in the film, though it's been a couple months since I saw it.

#81 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:47 PM

... I still haven't seen the L'Clerq documentary, though I have a copy on order. Is the Coppelia pas in the documentary?

There's about a half minute of it, about an hour and seventeen minutes into the documentary, among some more dance clips following the sections about polio and her later life; the glimpses of her dancing are not quite all in the first half of the film.  What we get of it here is the beginning of the adagio; she wakes up as a life-size doll in a toy shop (to the "Dawn" music on the VAI DVD, although we can't hear that music in the documentary, we continue to hear Debussy's "Faun" and  Barbara Horgan) and then she and Andre Eglevsky (as Franz) begin to dance.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):