• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

Having seen PNB's Midsummer on Sunday (will write up my review tomorrow), I walked home wondering "why isn't MCB doing this very Balanchine ballet?  they could easily rent the sets from Pennsylvania Ballet or Boston Ballet".  They could also do the Balanchine Coppelia.  

But to echo Christian's point, that wouldn't be very "Morphoses" of Madame Lopez.   If they can rent ABT's sets, then surely they can rent sets for a Balanchine full-night story ballet.  

#17 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,333 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

Having seen PNB's Midsummer on Sunday (will write up my review tomorrow), I walked home wondering "why isn't MCB doing this very Balanchine ballet?  they could easily rent the sets from Pennsylvania Ballet or Boston Ballet".  They could also do the Balanchine Coppelia.  

But to echo Christian's point, that wouldn't be very "Morphoses" of Madame Lopez.   If they can rent ABT's sets, then surely they can rent sets for a Balanchine full-night story ballet.  

Without knowing much about the Miami City school, I'd wonder if they had the kid population for these two works -- they both require a fairly large corps of kid performers. 

Nonetheless, I do think that some of the Balanchine program-length works are becoming the same kind of milestone ballets (we do them to prove that we can) that the Petipa warhorses have been.

(looking forward to hearing about your Sunday experience -- I couldn't go to that performance!)

#18 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

I think MCBS is fairly large,  and they would be fine.  However, MCB tours around Florida, so that might be an issue for children in performances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):