This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

SFB 2014 Program 5: Shostakovich TrilogyVideo Teaser/Trailer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

Nancy Raffa from ABT talks about the ballet:

#2 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

Thank you for posting. I'm looking forward to reading about this work at SFB.

#3 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

Thank you for posting this wonderful clip (great to see a snippet of Simone Messmer).  I just wish it was longer!

#4 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

Messmer had the same role in Symphony no. 9 at ABT.

#5 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

I was hoping to gain some insight into the casting from this video, but I think things may well have changed since these earlier rehearsals took place. I'm sure you will be seeing Messmer dance, but exactly what role - who knows?

#6 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:36 PM

Oh, many thanks for the clip!

#7 sf_herminator

sf_herminator

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

I was hoping to gain some insight into the casting from this video, but I think things may well have changed since these earlier rehearsals took place. I'm sure you will be seeing Messmer dance, but exactly what role - who knows?

In this interview with Simone (done when she returned to NY during SFB's October performances), she states that she was learning roles in all three movements of the piece.  Of course, she may not dance all three - we'll know very soon.  I have been enjoying her dancing - unfortunately I missed her Firebird.

http://www.vogue.com...th-sf-ballet/#1

#8 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

In this interview with Simone (done when she returned to NY during SFB's October performances), she states that she was learning roles in all three movements of the piece.  Of course, she may not dance all three - we'll know very soon.  I have been enjoying her dancing - unfortunately I missed her Firebird.

http://www.vogue.com...th-sf-ballet/#1

Tomasson has, so far, given Messmer more than one soloist role in a number of ballets - so she is getting dance time. I think we can expect to see her in a couple of different roles in the Shostakovich as well. Of course you have to be willing to go on different nights to be able to see different casts, and not everyone can do that.

I'm not sure if Program 5 is likely to sell out - it may be possible to wait until casting has been posted to get a somewhat decent seat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):