• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

National Ballet of Canada just announced its 2014/15 season: http://national.ball...ces/season1415/

Here's Karen Kain's video annnouncement: 

http://national.ball...campaign=buffer

#2 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

Four program length narrative ballets and two mixed rep programs (leaving Nut out of the mix) -- is this the usual balance for NBC?

#3 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

sandik - yes that is about right, though I think in recent years we haven't always had four full length ballets.

This weekend I got around to looking at my subscription renewal info.  Holy catfish!!  The price has gone up by just over $200, for an early bird cost of just under $1000 for the season!!!  This is for the 6 programs - one performance each.

speechless-smiley-003.gif speechless-smiley-003.gif speechless-smiley-003.gif

Not sure what I will do.  I really like my seat - suspect my seating choice is part of the cost problem, but still.  An increase of over 20%??

icon8.gif

#4 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

That does seem high -- has there been any public discussion about this price increase? 

#5 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

I'm afraid to ask how much single tickets are going to cost. If there is a substantial drop in subsciption renewals the company will probably have to reconsider, but that won't help the sticker-shocked in the short run.

#6 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:18 AM

This sudden increase affects those of us who sit in an area previously "zoned" by NBOC as "section 1.2" but rezoned (without warning to us ) as "section 1.1". Section 1.1 used to be only the seats inside the two aisles, but now NBOC has expanded it to include the first 4 seats or so on the outside of the aisles. I have heard a LOT of complaining about this because, yes, it represents a huge percentage increase in the price of a subscription (which is already pricy compared to just about every other company in North America and indeed the world), and it's a rather cavalier way to treat people who by definition (subscribers in one of the most expensive areas of the house) are among the ballet's most ardent supporters (and many of us make substantial donations on top of that).
Single ticket prices, on the other hand, and all the other sections of the theatre, have increased by only about 5%. And NBOC is now offering 45% off the single ticket prices for all subscriptions on Thursday afternoons. Not much consolation for those of us in the erstwhile section 1.2 who don't go to the ballet on Thursday afternoons.
I intend to write NBOC to complain and I recommend anyone else affected by this do the same. I hear that complaints are already coming in. I doubt it will make a difference but I don't think we should take this sitting down (pardon the pun).

#7 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

This sounds like what NYCB did a few years ago.  They drastically increased the prices in many seating areas, so the only option for those unwilling to pay the new prices were to either move to a different  (worse) seating area or stop going all together.  I think they lost a lot of subscribers who were not willing to put up with the new pricing system.

#8 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

And what about the casts? When are they usually announced? (I wonder if Lunkina will be dancing anything.)

#9 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:35 AM

NBOC announces casting very close to the program dates…. generally about 2 weeks in advance or so.  Therefore not any help when making decisions about subscriptions for next season.

As I always have gone on a Sunday matinee I can sometimes predict who I'll see as Sunday is generally not first cast  (and yes I may have an opinion about that too…) However sometimes over the last season or so we have seen some amazing performances.  There are some up and coming soloists that I don't get to see enough of, and one that I see too much of.  

#10 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

At Pacific Northwest Ballet, we often see upcoming dancers get a chance at a role in the matinee shows on the second (last) weekend of a run.  It can be quite fun -- a bit like trainspotting or birdwatching.

#11 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:35 PM

At Pacific Northwest Ballet, we often see upcoming dancers get a chance at a role in the matinee shows on the second (last) weekend of a run.  It can be quite fun -- a bit like trainspotting or birdwatching.

I agree with this idea.  I've seen some very interesting casts on Sundays, or even Saturday afternoons.  My mother gripes when she doesn't get the "star", but I enjoy seeing the debuts.  

#12 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

In this upcoming run of Midsummer Night's Dream, the first Saturday matinee cast is full of debuts -- I'm really looking forward to it!

#13 Lynette H

Lynette H

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:49 AM

Wheeldon's Winter's Tale is a co production between the Royal Ballet and NBC. The premiere is this week. I thought it might have featured in the NBC 2014/5 season. But it doesn't appear to be there. Maybe the next season ?

#14 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

I believe it will be in 2015-16 in Toronto.

#15 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

I believe it will be in 2015-16 in Toronto.

So are we going to have to wait for that premiere before they can include this ballet in a North American broadcast?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):