• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:09 AM

This sounds an absolute 'must have' - former dancers (Seymour, Ashley, Alonso, Ananisashvili...) talking about life after dancing, mainly teaching and coaching.

There's a review by Paul Arrowsmith on DanceTabs with enough tanatalising extracts to make me go and order it, right now!

#2 Ilona

Ilona

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

http://danceviewtime...an-example.html

#3 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,214 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

I've just started to read this.  Many thanks for your review!

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,214 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

It's taken me a long time to read this book.  I loved "Striking a Balance," but "Never Far from Dancing" was not nearly as enjoyable: for the most part, it was a catalog of mostly three complaints:  1.  Dancers now have it good  2.  Dancers now don't do things right  3. Current choreography is awful.  (I almost tossed the book in the garbage after reading Desmond Kelly's "We sucked up injuries in my day" rant.)  There were three notable exceptions: Alicia Alonso, Antoinette Sibley, whose voice hasn't changed, and Nina Ananiashvili, who was still dancing and running her company when the last interviews were done.  Ananiashvili was the one who still sounded so live, it was a pleasure and a joy to "hear" her.  For the most part, it was a depressing read.

#5 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:21 PM

I appreciated the historical information, but I agree with Helene that there was a certain amount of "those kids today..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):