• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

Aww I like the fluffy multi-layered flower dresses. Think they're much less offensive when the flowers are dancing. You get to see the layers fluffing up and down and take on a life of its own. Much like Ginger Rogers' famous "feathers" dress in Top Hat.

#17 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

those dresses are iconic NYCB Karinska designs.  No way no how no change!

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,155 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

PNB got to re-design the costumes for "A Midsummer Night's Dream," Paris Opera Ballet got to re-design "Jewels," and even NYCB updated the "Jewels" costumes. There's always hope.

Ginger Rogers' feathers dress did not flop: it lilted and flowed (:drama smilie we don't have:)

I think Sendak did a much nicer job with the flowers costumes in PNB's productions, even if Flora isn't as easy to find as Dewdrop, but it's a different kind of role, anyway.

#19 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

I think Sendak did a much nicer job with the flowers costumes in PNB's productions, even if Flora isn't as easy to find as Dewdrop, but it's a different kind of role, anyway.

According to Kent Stowell in an interview excerpted in Remembering Lincoln, when Stowell showed Kirstein Sendak's Nutcracker sketches, his reaction was

"Damn, I wish we had something like this in our theater"

whereupon Stowell asked him to write PNB's board chairman and Kirstein wrote a note that said

I'm filled with violent greed and envy over your production of Nutcracker

Stowell goes on to say that he took Sendak backstage 

and Ducky showed him short and long tutus. I wanted him to get a feel for all that. We were at a matinee and Maturice and I were standing there in the intermission and way over across the Promenade was Lincoln. He saw us and came over and you know how he bears down on you, ruff ruff ruff. He came over and I said, "This is Maurice Sendak, this is Lincoln Kirstein." So Lincoln said, "I have always wondered why you draw those little short squat figures, and now I see you I know why!" And Maurice said, "Well, flattery will get you everywhere."

rofl.GIF

#20 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

I love the Balanchine version, I haven't seen NYCB perform it live and I'm hoping to in the next few years.

That being said, I'd like to stick up for the ABT version. I think it has a magical and profound through narrative about the wonders of childhood and the sadness about losing the dreams of childhood and growing up. Ratmansky is deeply attuned to the narrative and emotional potential of the music, and every moment reflects the score (although not in the structural way that Balanchine's version does). I agreed that the opening to Act II is boring, but I've yet to see a version of that intro that doesn't send me to sleep. I highly recommend the ABT production.

#21 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

According to Kent Stowell in an interview excerpted in Remembering Lincoln, when Stowell showed Kirstein Sendak's Nutcracker sketches, his reaction was

"Damn, I wish we had something like this in our theater"

whereupon Stowell asked him to write PNB's board chairman and Kirstein wrote a note that said

I'm filled with violent greed and envy over your production of Nutcracker

At the beginning, PNB was very careful to negotiate a contract that guaranteed them exclusive use of the designs for a number of years (I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think it might have been around five years) with the assumption that later on, some other company would want to create another production using those sets and costumes.  I don't know if they (or Sendak) were ever approached about it, but it was a topic of conversation.  They are very engaging -- dense, in the way that Sendak's art often is.  This is the 35th anniversary of the production, and I'm still entertained with the details.

Edited by sandik, 26 November 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#22 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

For NYCB, the best seats are $229!!!  For ABT, they are about half that.   

#23 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

That's because Balanchine's version is much more popular. To get an optimal look at his group dances, such as the battle scene and the snowflakes, I wouldn't advise getting orchestra seats anyway. An elevated view is preferable.

#24 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,155 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

I agree. I've seen Balanchine's Nutcracker from the back of the Fourth Ring, and I didn't miss any of the mime and interactions of the children. The party scene itself is nice to see from far up, because you can see the flow of all of the characters. The first two rows of the Fourth Ring are great seats, but they sell out in a snap. For seeing it for the first time, I'd try for the front of the Fourth Ring, and tickets should be under $100.

The used to play around, sometimes with the choreography on New Year's Eve. For example, one of the Harlequin and Columbine dolls would not appear, leaving the partner to kill time and space. One year, Mother Ginger had a "Happy New Year" sign pinned to the back of her dress, etc.

-----

Thank you kfw!

#25 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

It seems like most companies that do a Nut have taken this idea and devote one of their performances to a prankish version.  PNB's "Nutty Nutcracker" is December 24 this year.

#26 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:30 AM

That's because Balanchine's version is much more popular. To get an optimal look at his group dances, such as the battle scene and the snowflakes, I wouldn't advise getting orchestra seats anyway. An elevated view is preferable.

And for many people, easier to get to whether you're taking public transportation or driving.  NYC's public transportation system and roadways were designed to get people in and out of Manhattan from the outer boroughs and the suburbs. If you live in New Jersey -- or even in parts of Queens and Brooklyn -- getting to BAM can be a real challenge. 

And yes -- don't sit in the orchestra! And don't worry about sitting off-center in the rings, either -- the view is just fine. (Although you might want to avoid the pairs of seats that run along the sides of the rings.) 

The sight lines in BAM's opera house aren't as good as those in The Theatre Formerly Known as State -- you have to be more careful when choosing your seats there. 

#27 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

Aww I like the fluffy multi-layered flower dresses. Think they're much less offensive when the flowers are dancing. You get to see the layers fluffing up and down and take on a life of its own. Much like Ginger Rogers' famous "feathers" dress in Top Hat.

those dresses are iconic NYCB Karinska designs.  No way no how no change!

You are lucky that my chances of holding a winning Powerball ticket are less than zero. wink1.gif

#28 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:56 AM

It seems like most companies that do a Nut have taken this idea and devote one of their performances to a prankish version.  PNB's "Nutty Nutcracker" is December 24 this year.

I believe it's called doing "a green show".  At least that's how I've heard it described by some Russian dancers.  I saw a production many years ago by the Moscow Ballet (not Bolshoi) and the snowflakes all held kleenex tissues in their fingers!  Pretty weird!

#29 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

I thought NYCB had closed off the Fourth Ring recently.  Or is popular Nut the exception?

Thanks to Kathleen O'Connell for the account of the Ratmansky one, which reminds me why I put it out of my mind soon after it appeared.

#30 ord7916

ord7916

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

Do you recommend sitting higher up for this production specifically or for ballets in general?  Having sat in various sections, I've found its hard to appreciate from higher up, though of course the music sounds better.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):