• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

I haven't seen this production since the first year it was done.  I was sorry to hear about Lane/Gorak, but not surprised.  Ratmansky put some amazingly difficult lifts in this ballet.  Given the short rehearsal period and cast changes, disaster is not a surprise.  I don't know why Ratmansky built such mine fields in the thing. It seems unwise.  As far as having an alternative to NYCB, that's almost impossible - NYCB has generations coming back with kids and grand kids.  And it is a delightful production.  

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

I keep hearing all this complaints about Ratmansky's unwise choreo for the grand pas and, about the idea of "an alternative to NYCB" I can't help but to think how SILLY was that NYC allowed to let go the old surviving PDD, having had this piece such a long tradition of performances in the city by BT and de Basil's-(Markova, Hightower, Alonso, Danilova, Serrano etc...). I really believe a wise idea, as a real alternative to City Ballet, would had been to honor this past by means of recreation or re introduction of some of this old elements-(still lovingly remembered by older NY'rs)-in ABT's Nutcracker.

#18 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:27 AM

I don't know. I can't do NYCBs very often. I find it pretty but boring. I love Ratmansky/ABT's. I saw 2 performances (Sunday eve with Part/Gomes and Weds with Kajiya and Matthews) and thought they were just as wonderful as Macaulay did in his NYTimes review.

The second performance (with a generally more junior cast) had some issues, but they were minor (cannon failed to fire, very junior couple given the 2nd doll solo in act I had a bit of a spill, one of the Spanish dancers had a small costume malfunction) but both were stellar performances and there were no problems in the pdd in either.

#19 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

It seems to me that Macauley gave another of his left-handed compliments to Part and couldn't resist taking another swipe at her for her "broad shoulders"-----I wonder if the broad calves of his favorite Odette ever bother him........innocent.gif

#20 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,225 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:10 PM

(Who is his favorite Odette?)

#21 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

(Who is his favorite Odette?)

Sara Mearns

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,225 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

Thank you!

#23 Mazurka

Mazurka

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Stearns as Odile: 

#24 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

That may be the funniest typo/mental image ever! smile.png I don't think Cory would make a good Odile...

#25 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

That may be the funniest typo/mental image ever! smile.png I don't think Cory would make a good Odile...

Actually, Cory might do quite well as Odile based on his wonderful interpretation of the "ballerina" in Ratmansky's "Bright Stream".  His pointe work was pretty amazing!

#26 Mazurka

Mazurka

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

I saw Part in the Nutcracker at BAM with Gomez.  Magic was missing and she was not particularly graceful,

indeed she was quite heavy though striking perfect poses.

I see her in modern ballet where angularity may be a  virtue but would never go to see her as Tatiana or Juliet,.

Nor sure that technical prowess is dancing.

#27 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'd like to see Part partnered by Fabrice Calmels of Joffrey Ballet (he's 6'6")

#28 fondoffouettes

fondoffouettes

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

I don't think there are adequate words to describe Gomes and Part's partnership in the Nutcracker. After Lane and Gorak's disappointing outing on Thursday evening, in which many of the choreographic elements were barely etched, if at all, I felt as if I was seeing the steps come alive for the very first time during Part and Gomes's performance yesterday evening. Ratmansky's choreography for the two pas de deux is a minefield, but when executed effectively, it appears as is if Clara/The Princess is soaring, buoyed by the ecstasy of the first flights of love. Needless to say, Gomes ensured that all of the lifts were flawless. I'm always so anxious about the one-legged lift at the end of the second pas de deux that I had forgotten how beautifully the ballerina is released from that pose and then whirled about in the air. Gomes and Part made this look effortless and full of grace. When dancing individually, Gomes's spins were superb--lightning fast and crisp. His dancing is so sublime that I don't usually count rotations or think about how fast he executes spins. However, the spirit of Corella was there in those spins--gorgeous!

Yes, Gomes is a wonderful partner for just about any lucky lady who is cast with him, but I think he deserves special praise for the chemistry he engenders with Part. Watching them interact with one another during non-dancing moments in the ballet was a joy that almost equaled the high of seeing them dance the pas de deux.

Craig Salstein's artistry shone brightly in his performances as both Harlequin and as one of the Russian dancers. His wit, warmth, and keen dramatic sensibilities were as present as ever. ABT is so lucky to have someone like Salstein, who is committed to bringing every role vividly to life (in addition to dancing beautifully, of course.)

Bravo to Justin Souriau-Levine, who only seems to get better and better each year as the Little Mouse. Please don't grow up! If Gomes owns the role of Purple Rothbart, then Souriau-Levine certainly owns the Little Mouse!

The company as a whole looked leagues better than it did on Thursday evening. I've always felt that the bees are a bit much, but Thomas Forster, Luis Ribagorda, Calvin Royal, and Eric Tamm were marvelous. The bees can seem far too goofy, but these four outstanding dancers brought a much needed dose of elegance. I've never seen the roles performed more perfectly, and the throwing and catching of the flowers was impeccable. I'll mention, too, that Ribagorda danced beautifully as the Recruit in Act I. In the past two or three years his dancing has seemed particularly outstanding, and I hope we'll see him featured more often.

Gabe Stone Shayer replaced Gorak in the Chinese dance, and he was stellar. Perfect partnering and incredible spins. I would love to see him featured in more soloist roles at ABT. He clearly has talent to spare, as well as a warm, unassuming stage presence. 

The orchestra sounded so much better under the baton of Ormbsy Wilkins.

#29 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

For me, the only couple at ABT I'm interested in seeing again in Nutcracker are Hallberg and Murphy.  They were so brilliant, and all the other casts I've seen were unremarkable in comparison. Obviously,  Hallberg will not be returning to do this role at ABT, so for the time being I have sworn off the ABT Nut.

#30 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

I went for the Sunday matinee on December 22nd.  The announced cast was Sarah Lane/Joseph Gorak.  Gorak was replaced by Jared Matthews.  I hadn't read the earlier review of their first show, so I was disappointed that Gorak didn't dance.  However, Matthews was really quite excellent and Sarah Lane was exquisite.  Lane is tiny, easy to lift and gifted in terre-a-terre petite allegro which is helpful.  Jared Matthews is taller with more upper body strength and greater partnering experience than Gorak, so the PDD had no bobbles.  Jared whipped out some great pirouettes in the coda.  That "man of many faces" Roman Zhurbin was first sinister then charming as Drosselmeyer.

I really think the grand pas needs a smaller lighter dancer as the "Dream Princess Clara".  Another cast I really enjoyed in a previous season was Xiomara Reyes and Herman Cornejo.  Xiomara was feathery light and Herman partnered her beautifully.  Lane had the same lightness mixed with classicism.  I love Marcelo Gomes and Veronika Part.  However, Part is a very grand ballerina with long limbs and she needs broader choreographic outlines with luxuriant  adagio steps and jumps to work her magic.  There are adagio and allegro technicians and Part is an adagio technician while Xiomara and Sarah Lane are allegro technicians with smaller limbs and greater speed. 

The first act of the Ratmansky "Nut" has much more action and variety than the Balanchine at NYCB.  The second act, I generally prefer Balanchine to Ratmansky.  I like the Dewdrop ballerina in the Waltz of the Flowers (I saw a smashing Tiler Peck dance it a few Saturdays ago with Anna Sophia Scheller as the Sugarplum).  I also prefer Balanchine's choreography for the "Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy" which follows the music better.  Ratmansky has the ballerina walking around during melodic sections where she should be dancing and doing big pirouettes where petite allegro tacqueté footwork and beats would fit the music better.

BAM looked well filled in the top balcony with young people and families with children.  My ticket was $16.50 and I could see the stage fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):