This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Osipova named Principal at Royal B while staying with Mikhailovsky

whatever one thinks/conjectures about what could have been worked out re: naming Ratmansky choreographer in residence at NYCB it remains untrue that it was his decision to reject the post - bottom line, in the end: no such post was offered.

Pardon my naivete, but Is it possible that Osipova's move to RB creates more opportunities for ABT to revamp its lineup of principals (many of whom are leaving or have left) and promote new talent? In other words, win-win-win for all involved-RB-Osipova-ABT?

Pardon my naivete, but Is it possible that Osipova's move to RB creates more opportunities for ABT to revamp its lineup of principals (many of whom are leaving or have left) and promote new talent? In other words, win-win-win for all involved-RB-Osipova-ABT?

Osipova is still going to dance w/ ABT at the Met Season; how many performances I don't think anyone knows yet (I know some folks discussed on an early page possible conflicting seasons with ABT vs RB, but I haven't been able to find them). She never danced in ABT's fall season but did tour with them - and how her tour performances w/ them will be affected is I believe still not certain.

I don't think it could ever be a black or white win-win-win - what is a "win" for another dancer getting a new opportunity isn't necessarily a "win" for ABT. If she doesn't perform that much w/ ABT starting next season, then of course that opens up opportunities for others (seasoned principals and/or soloists), but she is arguably the biggest box office draw right now for a ballerina so ABT won't necessarily "win" if her performances become very limited with them.

Not sure which principals you're referring to as "many of whom are leaving or have left"? Not many have left recently - not females anyway. A lot have cut back on their performances w/ ABT as they have other company obligations now (Murphy), or due to age or impending retirement (Kent, Dvorovenko). But, promoting new talent is something that remains illusive at ABT - well, rare is probably a better way of putting it. Osipova performing less often w/ ABT certainly won't directly translate into a soloist getting promoted to principal. It might help. But, ABT can also go out and get yet another female principal guest artist (or permanently hire one) from another company to fill in for roles Osipova would normally perform, thus removing opportunities for a soloist (and one who needs that opportunity in order to get promoted).

Osipova is still going to dance w/ ABT at the Met Season; how many performances I don't think anyone knows yet (I know some folks discussed on an early page possible conflicting seasons with ABT vs RB, but I haven't been able to find them). She never danced in ABT's fall season but did tour with them - and how her tour performances w/ them will be affected is I believe still not certain.

I don't think it could ever be a black or white win-win-win - what is a "win" for another dancer getting a new opportunity isn't necessarily a "win" for ABT. If she doesn't perform that much w/ ABT starting next season, then of course that opens up opportunities for others (seasoned principals and/or soloists), but she is arguably the biggest box office draw right now for a ballerina so ABT won't necessarily "win" if her performances become very limited with them.

Not sure which principals you're referring to as "many of whom are leaving or have left"? Not many have left recently - not females anyway. A lot have cut back on their performances w/ ABT as they have other company obligations now (Murphy), or due to age or impending retirement (Kent, Dvorovenko). But, promoting new talent is something that remains illusive at ABT - well, rare is probably a better way of putting it. Osipova performing less often w/ ABT certainly won't directly translate into a soloist getting promoted to principal. It might help. But, ABT can also go out and get yet another female principal guest artist (or permanently hire one) from another company to fill in for roles Osipova would normally perform, thus removing opportunities for a soloist (and one who needs that opportunity in order to get promoted).

Evgenia Obraztsova would be a terrific replacement if Natalia O. decides to leave ABT for good.

With that red hair, I want to see Obratsova dance West Side Story Suite playing Riff's girlfriend Graziella. I also want a pony.

back on topic, Osipova can write her own ticket at this point. It just depends on when the rigors of travel begin to weigh on her, and then she'll cut back. Right now she's in her mid-20's, so plenty of energy to visit Japan, USA, Argentina, Russia, UK and Rome in a very short time frame. Oh I wish I still had the youth and energy!