• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

I wonder if anybody has seen any casting information for the revival of On Your Toes at City Center May 8-12, 2013. It happens to be the six days immediately before the ABT season at the Met, but occurs during the NYCB spring season, which makes me wonder if it might be cast with ABT dancers or some combination.

http://www.nycitycen...anceNumber=6639

(I'm not sure I posted this in the right place. Moderators: Please move if I goofed on this.)

#2 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

City Center never announces casting for the Encores performances until a few weeks before the show. I don't expect to see any casting until early April.

#3 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:13 AM

Casting is announced. Irina Dvorovenko, and DeLuz! Should be great.

http://artsbeat.blog...-toes/?ref=arts

#4 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

Casting is announced. Irina Dvorovenko, and DeLuz! Should be great.

http://artsbeat.blog...-toes/?ref=arts

Great news! I found a more complete list here, although I don't recognize any other names: http://www.theaterma...our-_64892.html

#5 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

Kurt Froman and Jessy Hendrickson (sister of recently retired NYCB soloist, Adam) were both in NYCB.
Alex Wong was with Miami City Ballet among other groups.

#6 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

IIRC, Alex Wong was out for a long time with a serious injury, so this it's especially gratifying news that he's performing.

#7 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

IIRC, Alex Wong was out for a long time with a serious injury, so this it's especially gratifying news that he's performing.

And I believe he's been dancing in "Newsies" on Broadway also.

#8 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

And I believe he's been dancing in "Newsies" on Broadway also.

I always felt he wasn't completely satistifed dancing classical ballet only. we certainly miss his dancing down here.

#9 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Here is NY Times review. Ben Brantley goes ga-ga for Irina.

http://theater.nytim...r.html?ref=arts

#10 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

I saw On Your Toes last night. It's definitely not a top tier musical, but it was fun. Irina was wonderful. She danced up a storm as the sexy strip tease girl. In addition, her comic timing and the delivery of her lines were spot on. She was perfect for the role, and the audience loved her. Joaquin DeLuz had a much smaller part, but he did well enough.

#11 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

Posted Image I much preferred the Spaniard's Russian accent to the Ukranian's -- I could understand DeLuz (who really did sound Russian!) much more easily than Dvorovenko. I lost too much of her dialogue, understanding something around 50% of it. It may have been as much the fault of the amplification system as the actress, or perhaps even my own aging ears Posted Image . And while I agree that she vamped vampiously, and diva-ed diva-ishly, she is not on my list of favorite Striptease Girls.

I'm so glad I bought this ticket. I've enjoyed every Encores production I've seen (not enough). If this one, which boasted such top talent (besides our ballet dancers) as Karen Ziemba, Walter Bobbie and Christine Baranski, as well as some of the past ones (Kismet with Brian Stokes Mitchell comes to mind) are any indication, I've been a fool not to grab tickets for all of them as soon as they go on sale.

I was especially impressed by Warren Carlyle's ingenious solution to staging the Princess Zenobia Ballet on half of a small stage. He put the dancers on benches and has the male dancers change the direction of the benches, changing the dimensions of the space and making it work as a semi-duplex, as well.

Tonight's was the last show of this production. Otherwise, I'd urge New Yorkers who haven't seen it to go, GO, GO!

#12 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

This was the best danced Hoofer I've seen since Woetzel and Neal retired.

#13 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

Lara Teeter opposite Makarova was no slouch either! But I rather liked this production. Yes, Irina needed better amplification and maybe a bit more make up in Act I, but all in all I think she was splendid. Bravo for a musical theater debut! Also, Joaquin stood out. Funny, suave (well, sort of), good comedic timing and great tours en l'air! He also should look into musical theater if he decides to retire from ballet. Choreography by Carlyle was innovative and fun. Those supported fouettes on the benches blew me away! Nice work all around.

#14 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:24 AM

Lara Teeter was MAGNIFICENT!!! He deserved much more recognition than he got!

#15 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:02 AM

I saw him (but with Galina Panova) and agree he was wonderful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):