• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

Thanks, Natalia. So far butterflysamar seems mostly interested in kondaurova -- which is understandable, but I wish [selfishly] that s/he would just put up EVERYTHING -- at least Titania and the divertissement and the lovers [and Bottom], since I love everything I've seen. Sandra Jennings gave an interesting interview. I wonder what she thinks of the results.... sigh

#32 bianca

bianca

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:13 AM

YouTubes are allowed on BA. I found the following showing the first-cast in the culmination of the Wedding March that opens Act II. Kondaurova (as Hyppolita) is in the middle.

It's actually from second performance, with Alexandra Iosifidi as Hyppolota and Yulia Stepanova as Helena (red costume)

#33 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:05 AM

Thanks, bianca. I was going by what the YouTube poster wrote. Well, this makes sense, since the Titania segments show Kondaurova...she couldn't dance both roles in one show!

#34 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

Here is one Russian review, from Kommersant newspaper, including 6 lovely photos (click on thumbnails near top):

http://www.kommersant.ru/doc/1953373

Bits of translation, to get the gist:

AWAKENING SHAKESPEARE: Midsummer Night's Dream at the Mariinsky - June 8, 2012 - by Olga Fyodorchenko

[The author attended the opening night premiere and, earlier, saw the 2nd cast in the dress rehearsal. However, she mentioned by name only the dancers mentioned below.]

Titania - Viktoria Terioshkina 1st cast - danced beautifully, with rare ease and 'elegant plastique'; brings out the nuances in the music; undoubtedly "a virtuosa in her prime"! [Reviewer makes no mention of the 2nd-cast Titania, Kondaurova...only of her Hyppolita, later on...]

Oberon - Timur Askerov, 1st cast - "so far, he's more the workman than the artist"; by contrast, 2nd cast Konstantin Zverev "dances more like the nobleman...a thoroughbred in looks and execution."

Mortal Couples ('the three couples' ) - the reviewer mentions only the two dancers essaying Hippolyta: 2nd cast Alexandra Iosifidi is considered more "stately" and powerful; 1st cast Ekaterina Kondaurova is more lyrical..."almost like Odette." While not naming the dancers, the reviewer pointed out that the 'fighting couple' Helena and Demetrius "seem to echo Soviet-style drambalet...like Zakharov's creations."

Act II PDD - none of the dancers named! The reviewer merely states "...there is a long romantic pas de deux for an unnamed couple, in a 16-minute segment."

Butterfly - Svetlana Ivanova was magical, "..like a moth flitting between reality and fiction."

No mention of either Puck. Brief mention of the corps and the Vaganova Academy students' participation.

"In sum...this is a good acquisition, with something for every audience member, from children to casual theater goers to serious ballet-goers, who would especially enjoy the classic Balanchine work in Act II..."

#35 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

Natalia, I've been looking for more youtube clips of the ballet but don't find anything with Titania in it -- only a few butterfly's uploads, including the Maryinsky curtain, a 4-second clip of the forest scene, and a couple of clips of the wedding march.

If you would PLEASE upload links of anything including Kondaurova, I'd be SO grateful.

The production from photographs, looks sumptuous, and SHE from photographs looks staggeringly beautiful as Titania -- but you can't tell how she moves. from still shots, nor how much wit is present in the pdd with Bottom.

#36 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:59 PM

Many thanks for the highlights of the review, Natalia!

#37 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

Here is one Russian review, from Kommersant newspaper, including 6 lovely photos (click on thumbnails near top):

http://www.kommersant.ru/doc/1953373

Bits of translation, to get the gist:

AWAKENING SHAKESPEARE: Midsummer Night's Dream at the Mariinsky - June 8, 2012 - by Olga Fyodorchenko

[The author attended the opening night premiere and, earlier, saw the 2nd cast in the dress rehearsal. However, she mentioned by name only the dancers mentioned below.]

Titania - Viktoria Terioshkina 1st cast - danced beautifully, with rare ease and 'elegant plastique'; brings out the nuances in the music; undoubtedly "a virtuosa in her prime"! [Reviewer makes no mention of the 2nd-cast Titania, Kondaurova...only of her Hyppolita, later on...]

Oberon - Timur Askerov, 1st cast - "so far, he's more the workman than the artist"; by contrast, 2nd cast Konstantin Zverev "dances more like the nobleman...a thoroughbred in looks and execution."

Mortal Couples ('the three couples' ) - the reviewer mentions only the two dancers essaying Hippolyta: 2nd cast Alexandra Iosifidi is considered more "stately" and powerful; 1st cast Ekaterina Kondaurova is more lyrical..."almost like Odette." While not naming the dancers, the reviewer pointed out that the 'fighting couple' Helena and Demetrius "seem to echo Soviet-style drambalet...like Zakharov's creations."

Act II PDD - none of the dancers named! The reviewer merely states "...there is a long romantic pas de deux for an unnamed couple, in a 16-minute segment."

Butterfly - Svetlana Ivanova was magical, "..like a moth flitting between reality and fiction."

No mention of either Puck. Brief mention of the corps and the Vaganova Academy students' participation.

"In sum...this is a good acquisition, with something for every audience member, from children to casual theater goers to serious ballet-goers, who would especially enjoy the classic Balanchine work in Act II..."

Natalia, I've been looking for more youtube clips of the ballet but don't find anything with Titania in it -- only a few butterfly's uploads, including the Maryinsky curtain, a 4-second clip of the forest scene, and a couple of clips of the wedding march.

Natalia, Paul - I believe that Ekaterina Kondaurova was made a principal as part of the buildup to this program. It's interesting to me that a Mariinsky dancer could be promoted based on preparation for a Balanchine ballet. That has to be a first for that company. A bit like Marie-Agnes Gillot being promoted to Etoile after dancing Carolyn Carlson's Signes.

RE: Any video clips of the performance - it's very difficult finding unauthorized video of Balanchine ballets, not to mention authorized ones. ;)

#38 Catherine

Catherine

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Actually Kondaurova was promoted after a performance of "Swan Lake" in June, not after the Midsummer's performance.

#39 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Actually Kondaurova was promoted after a performance of "Swan Lake" in June, not after the Midsummer's performance.

I finally found one of the URLs where I had heard this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SotoZDXkSw4

"Coinciding with Ekaterina Kondaurova's debut as Titania in George Balanchine's Midsummer Night's Dream, the Mariinsky Theatre website disclosed that Kondaurova has been promoted to principal ballerina status, several hours before her debut in one of Balanchine's rare full length ballets."

It's an interesting statement (and I don't have a way to verify). Of course there are internal promotions, and there are official, publicly announced promotions. And the Russians are good at making all this confusing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):