This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

MCB tour to Paris, July 2011-- THEATRE DU CHATELET

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#16 cahill

cahill

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:29 AM

A short feature from NBC Miami on the last day of rehearsals
MCB Performs in Paris

#17 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

Wonderful to so Catoya back and looking so lovely, after her long absence due to injury last season.

Rebecca King's excellent blog has a video clips of rehearsals of Theme and Variations and Concerto Barocco (very brief), plus a longer clip of Upper Room. There's a blond dancer in the last of these who looks quite a bit like Daniel Baker from a distance, though he doesn't move like him. Any ideas as to who this is?

http://tendusunderap...ntil-paris.html

King will be reporting from Paris on the blog but also on Twitter and Tumblr.

http://tendusunderap...ntil-paris.html

I have to admit that I don't tweet and that I have never even heard of Tumblr. But I will be checking in regularly with the blog to see how things are going. (Still kicking myself for not having made arrangements to be there.)

#18 cahill

cahill

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

C[size="2"]orp Dancer Zoe Zien will be blogging for the Company on the trip and she has done a very nice video that includes some rehearsal shots.[/size]

[size="3"][size=2]Zoe's Paris Tour Coverage
[/size][/size]
[size="2"]The Esty twins will be blogging about their experiences for [/size][font="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, san-serif"][size="2"]miamiartzine.com see the announcement below.[/size][/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, san-serif"] [/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, san-serif"][size="2"]Esty twins on MCB Paris trip[/size] [/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, san-serif"] [/font]

#19 leibling

leibling

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:18 PM

Bart- I think that IS Daniel Baker in the clip from Upper Room.

#20 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:33 PM

Bart- I think that IS Daniel Baker in the clip from Upper Room.

Isn't he Chase Swatosh..?

First from left

http://media.vcstar....hChase_t300.jpg

#21 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:50 AM

Has anyone read Jennifer Kronenberg's book yet?

#22 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:51 AM

Liebling, I think you are right. On MCB's Facebook site, there's a group photo of everyone attending. Swadosh is in the second row at far right. It sure looks like Daniel Baker sitting on the floor in front of him. (I saw this photo on my phone, but of course it was too tiny to identify anyone. On my pc screen, it does seem to be Baker, a bit more bulked up than I remember.)

of course it's possible that he is there as a guest artist. But, could he possibly be coming back full time?. I'll borrow a favorite icon of Christian's :beg: Please, MCB, bring Daniel Baker back to the regular company. (Gadzooks, in my old age I am becoming a groupie !!!)

http://www.facebook....&type=1

Puppytreats, info on Jennifer Kronenberg's book is here:
http://www.miamicity....php?NewsID=197

I hope it is discussed in detail on our sister site, Ballet Talk for Dancers. But anyone who can share his or her thoughts about the book with us HERE as well, we'd love to hear from you.

#23 Justdoit

Justdoit

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

bart,

You missed Jeremy Cox to Daniel Baker's right in that Upper Room Video. Both are with the company in Paris to do Upper Room.

#24 iwatchthecorps

iwatchthecorps

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

They are now in Paris! Three dancers find a poster on a Paris street announcing their performances.

#25 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:50 PM

bart,

You missed Jeremy Cox to Daniel Baker's right in that Upper Room Video. Both are with the company in Paris to do Upper Room.

I think that's Marc Spielberger next to Baker, isn't it? Spielberger, a soloist, is one of several dancers going to Paris who are not on the roster for next year.

Does anyone have an official company list for the tour? It would be wonderful if Cox, indeed, is joining them. (I wish it could be permanent.)

P.S. In addition to Catoya, back and apparently in fine form, One of the videos on the company website mention that Jeanette Delgado is dancing Tarantella partnered by Kleber Rebello. So it sounds as though she is back in fine form, too. According to the schedule, Tarantella seems to be performed only on opening night, Wed., July 6.

#26 leibling

leibling

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

Yup- that is Jeremy Cox and Daniel Baker. I think they are guesting for the tour to Paris.

#27 CM

CM

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:44 AM

Culturebox - short video - etes de la danse - Miami City ballet

http://culturebox.fr...tes-de-la-danse

#28 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:24 AM

Cox and Baker were both MAJOR losses to MCB. Both have something that's getting more and more difficult to find onstage nowadays...and it's called CHARISMA, PERSONALITY. I would take Baker's Sigfried or Albrecht over many Principals AT ANY POINT, and he was the only partner that really reminded me the kind of partnership and lifts the Cuban men used to do back in the days...strong and secure. Then Cox was just wonderful while dancing Balanchine. He always looked as if he was flirting with the choreography, the music, the audience and his peers onstage the whole time. He really knows how to hold a performance and make it interesting. Yes...let's keep crossing our fingers so they could be back full time after the tour. :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg:

#29 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:04 PM

Thank you, CM. That's a wonderful video clip.

Good to hear the representative of the Prometheus orchestra praising Gary Sheldon for following the dancers so well. Sheldon is one big reason to hope MCB will be able to afford a live orchestra forever.

Great to see Jeanette Delgado, glorious smile and all, in the iconic Tarantella kerchief. I hope Paris recognizes a star when it sees one.

The three lead men in Symphony in Three Movement seem to be Guerra, Cedeiro, and ... BAKER.

#30 cahill

cahill

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:09 AM

From a Paris Review of last night's opening

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"]

"But the 100% Miami has another charm: that of a journey through time full of freshness and youth. It is probably with performers like these that Balanchine created his plays and conquered the planet. Photos and movies are dreams. To put it in his eyes, it will run July 11 at the Cinémathèque de la danse organizing in Paris-Bercy (from 12:00 to 0:00), a marathon of new films in France, Balanchine and Robbins."

[/size]
[size="2"]

Balanchine en Floride

[/size]

[/font]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):