This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Keeping Up With...

Here's the press release from OBT:

OBT to round out its artistic team with a second ballet master, Jeffrey Stanton.

July 15, 2013 - Portland, OR

Jeffrey Stanton, former principal dancer with Pacific Northwest Ballet (1994-2011) and currently a faculty member at the PNB School will be joining Oregon Ballet Theatre as ballet master, alongside Rehearsal Director Lisa Kipp. He will arrive in August.

“I think Jeffrey and Lisa’s skills complement each other well and I am excited for the dancers to have a chance to work with both of them in the studio” shared Artistic Director Kevin Irving.

About Jeffrey Stanton

Mr. Stanton trained at San Francisco Ballet School and the School of American Ballet. In addition to classical ballet, he also studied ballroom, jazz, and tap dancing. He joined San Francisco Ballet in 1989 and left to join Pacific Northwest Ballet as a member of the corps de ballet in 1994. He was promoted to soloist in 1995 and was made a principal in 1996. “Jeff has been a brilliant dancer, great colleague and stalwart Company member for seventeen years – a lifetime in dance and a gift to his artistic directors. It is our hope that, when he retires from performing, he will pass on everything he knows to future generations of young dancers,” shared PNB Founding Artistic Directors Kent Stowell and Francia Russell, (who hired Mr. Stanton in 1994) upon his retirement in 2011.

He originated leading roles in Susan Stroman’s TAKE FIVE…More or Less; Stephen Baynes' El Tango; Donald Byrd's Seven Deadly Sins; Val Caniparoli's The Bridge; Nicolo Fonte's Almost Tango and Within/Without; Kevin O'Day's Aract and [soundaroun(d)ance]; Kent Stowell's Carmen, Palacios Dances, and Silver Lining; and Christopher Stowell's Zaïs. Mr. Stanton has performed as a guest artist for Le Gala des Étoiles in Montreal, Prague Gala of Stars, and the TITAS Command Performance of International Ballet in Dallas, Texas. In 2000, he participated in The George Balanchine Foundation's Interpreters Archive series, dancing excerpts from Balanchine's Episodes, coached by Melissa Hayden. Portland audiences may also remember Jeff as a guest artist with OBT in the company premiere of Christopher Stowell's Zaïs.

Other Leading Roles: George Balanchine's Agon, Apollo, Ballet Imperial, Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet, Chaconne, Coppélia (Dr. Coppelius), Diamonds, Divertimento No. 15, Emeralds, The Four Temperaments, A Midsummer Night's Dream (Demetrius, Divertissement pas de deux), Serenade, Slaughter on Tenth Avenue, Stars and Stripes, Symphony in C, Symphony in Three Movements, Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux, Theme and Variations, Stravinsky Violin Concerto, La Valse, Western Symphony, and Who Cares?; Todd Bolender's Souvenirs; Val Caniparoli's Lambarena; Dominique Dumais' Scripted in the Body; Eliot Feld's Intermezzo; William Forsythe's Artifact II and In the middle, somewhat elevated; Paul Gibson's Diversions and Rush; Ronald Hynd's The Merry Widow (Count Danilo) and The Sleeping Beauty (Prince Désiré); Robert Joffrey's Remembrances; Jiri Kylian's Petite Mort; Edwaard Liang's Für Alina; José Limón's The Moor's Pavane; Jean-Christophe Maillot’s Roméo et Juliette (Paris); Peter Martins' Fearful Symmetries and Valse Triste; Mark Morris' Pacific; Marius Petipa's Le Corsaire Pas de Trois, Don Quixote, and Paquita; Jerome Robbins' Fancy Free, In the Night, and West Side Story Suite (Riff); Kent Stowell's Carmina Burana, Cinderella (Prince), Delicate Balance, Firebird, Hail to the Conquering Hero, Kammergarten Tänze, Nutcracker (Prince), Quaternary, Swan Lake (Prince Siegfried), The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet (Romeo), and Zirkus Weill; Lynne Taylor-Corbett's The Ballad of You and Me, Mercury, and The Quilt; Glen Tetley's Voluntaries; Twyla Tharp's Nine Sinatra Songs; and Christopher Wheeldon's After the Rain pas de deux. At San Francisco Ballet, he performed leading roles in works by Lew Christensen, Agnes De Mille, James Kudelka, Mark Morris, and Jerome Robbins.

Former PNB dancers Tim Lynch and Alexandra Dickson have been running the Seattle Dance Project for several years, but will be leaving town in June for new positions at BalletMet in Columbus, OH. No news yet about future plans for the ensemble. Here's the press release:

SEATTLE DANCE PROJECT ARTISTIC DIRECTOR TO HEAD OHIO’S

BALLETMET DANCE ACADEMY

SEATTLE, WA (April 23, 2014) – Seattle Dance Project today announced that artistic director Timothy Lynch will be leaving the company in June to assume the position of Academy Director for the BalletMet in Columbus, Ohio.

A former Pacific Northwest Ballet dancer, Lynch co-founded Seattle Dance Project in 2007 with former Pacific Northwest Ballet dancer Julie Tobiason. Lynch has served as sole artistic director for Seattle Dance Project for the past three years.

Several months ago, renowned international choreographer Edwaard Liang, whose works were showcased in Seattle Dance Project’s “Project Two” and “Project Three”, became Artistic Director of BalletMet. He recently offered Lynch the opportunity to head the company’s Dance Academy. Lynch will bring to BalletMet his exceptional artistic background and skills as a leader, artist, dancer and teacher. Lynch’s wife, Alexandra Dickson, a former Pacific Northwest Ballet soloist, also will join BalletMet, teaching company classes and serving as children’s ballet mistress for company productions.

Lynch is currently rehearsing Seattle Dance Project for “Project 7”, which will appear at the Broadway Performance Hall from May 2 – 4. “Project 7” will be the company’s last performance under Lynch’s direction and will include works by Wade Madsen, Amy O’Neal and Iyun Harrison.

“Project 7” performances include:

· April 30 at 7 p.m. (pay-what-you-will dress rehearsal)

· May 2 at 8 p.m. (opening night)

· May 3 at 8 p.m.

· May 4 at 5 p.m.

The dancers and choreographers will hold Q & A sessions following the performances. Broadway Performance Hall is located at Broadway and East Pine on Seattle’s Capitol Hill.

Visit Brown Paper Tickets at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/638059 to purchase tickets. Prices are $25 for adults and $20 for students.

About Seattle Dance Project

Seattle Dance Project (www.seattledanceproject.org) was founded in 2007 and is currently led by Artistic Director Timothy Lynch. Seattle Dance Project seeks to highlight the artistry, professional maturity and technical prowess of its dancers and choreographers by providing exciting dance experiences for its audiences. Part of the company’s mission is also to create unique learning and dance participation opportunities for children and adults in the Seattle community, to nurture the next generation of artists and dance audiences. Reflecting this commitment to high quality performing arts, many company members are active teachers in the Seattle dance community.

# # #

Barry Kerollis is now Artistic Director of Alaska Dance Theatre! The Company's Facebook Page has updated its cover photo with a fantastic photo to announce the news:

https://www.facebook.com/AlaskaDanceTheatre

Click on it to get the full view. (I can't figure out how to get a fixed link for a current cover photo.)

This is coming off a summer where he was one of the four choreographers chosen for the National Choreographers Initiative and presented his new work, "Distinct Perceptions" at the NCI public performance. Here are some photos:

http://www.nchoreographers.org/2014_showing_pictures.htm

Congratulations, Barry, and welcome back to this side of the Rockies!

I hate to throw cold water, and I admit I don't know how old Barry is, but I assume that being a director means that Barry won't be dancing a lot. Surely this is a good move for him personally or he wouldn't have done it, but I always loved the way Barry danced at PNB. He seems young enough to have a whole lot of dance still in him. He always stood out among the men to my eyes. I was very sad when he left PNB.