VulgarWhat does it mean in a ballet context?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:32 AM

That is interesting--I've had the opposite experience! Dancers who can fouetté for days, kick themselves in the head, &c, but they forget about the drama, or even personality.

#32 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:32 PM

I've seen "Clavigo" on video and I too thought it wasn't "vulgar" at all. It's certainly mature, intense, and somewhat sinister in its themes, but at the same time I thought it was inventive, compelling, and great entertainment. I have only seen the video cast so I don't know if other dancers have been able to replicate the doe-eyed innocence of Clairemarie Osta, the sinister debauchery of Nicholas LeRiche, or the flamboyant sultriness of Marie Agnes Gillot.

#33 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:42 PM

Another vote for Clavigo here. Much preferable, in my book, to a couple of other full-length works that rely on juiced up plots and a showy central pas de deux, MacMillan's Manon being just one that comes to mind.

Re: "vulgar." On other threads, I've always had questions about the use of this term, and not only because it is so subjective. It's an shorthand insult, not a descriptive or analytical term. When I see it, I feel I've learned more about the writer than about the work he or she is evaluating.

Many substantial works of art have been called "vulgar," or "common," or "trashy," by someone, especially at times of transition in style and content. I'm sure that a VERY long book could be compiled consisting solely of wrong-headed accusations of vulgarity over the centuries.

#34 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,227 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the reports on 'Clavigo,' everyone. I'll have to check it out on video.

That is interesting--I've had the opposite experience! Dancers who can fouetté for days, kick themselves in the head, &c, but they forget about the drama, or even personality.

Yes. Dancers who turn and turn and turn and grin and grin and grin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):