This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT in the 60's

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 10:41 AM

Thank you, that is it! :)

#32 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:31 PM

Victoria, thank you so much for sharing your memories. What a treat peeking into ABT's world in the '60's! I especially loved hearing about Agnes de Mille as I adore her autobiographies.

I didn't need any help picking you out in that photo - to this day, you look strikingly like your earlier self :D

Later, I danced the third and the fourth, but never the first, which was always a smaller girl

What??? There was a smaller girl than you? :)

#33 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:36 PM

LOL! Yes, Jacki, but what I meant was shorter :) I think someone with the length of my legs and arms would have looked quite strange in that variation, with lots of very small movements and very quick work, especially for the head! :D

#34 WDCBteacher

WDCBteacher

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:56 PM

Thank you Victoria!!!!! for sharing with everyone your ABT experience :) . I think it's amazing how this company developed through the relative short live, (If you compare with Paris Opera, Bolshoi Ballet, etc.)

Obviously was a moment very special for all of you and for the American Ballet.

I love to hear about this kind of experiences!

Happy Thanksgiving WEEK!!!!!!!!!

:D

#35 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:45 PM

I couldn't resist -- the bio isn't up-to-date, but there's are two gorgeous studio photograph of Victoria Leigh (different kinds of studios) at this link.

#36 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

I couldn't resist -- the bio isn't up-to-date, but there's are two gorgeous studio photograph of Victoria Leigh (different kinds of studios) at this link.

Wow!...talk about high extensions...! :clapping: Thank you Helene for the pics...

#37 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

Wow, thanks Helene! Now THAT is Ecarte devant. And it's Victoria Leigh. Beautiful!

It's a wonderful story, Ms Leigh; thanks so much for sharing it with us.

#38 ggobob

ggobob

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:36 AM

Thanks...I look forward to your next recollection...in the happy knowledge that next year's promised date is only a month and a day away.

A sidebar to the White House story and the small stage. Back then, before "staging" was essential to any WH moment, the lights and stage materials were borrowed from the Masque and Bauble drama club at Georgetown University. Which in one of those six degree of separation moments allows me to realize I appeared on the same stage as you - but you definitely had the better venue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):