Leigh Witchel

Tattoos and Piercings on Ballet Dancers?

Tattos and Piercings on Ballet Dancers:   108 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion?

• Love 'em!
    • Hate 'em
    • Couldn't care less.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

132 posts in this topic

Tattoos seem to be a permanent solution to what may turn out to be transitory desires.

Very succinct!

I thought I'd bring this thread forward again after seeing Crystal Pite's Emergence at Pacific Northwest Ballet. The men in the work all had sizeable temporary tattoos as part of their costumes -- they were on the upper back, and most of them extended across the shoulder joint to the upper arm. They were incredibly effective, especially in one section where the men were seated with their backs to the audience for an elaborate arm sequence.

They were applied with a stencil, and did not come off with soap and water -- apparently they needed some kind of makeup remover wipe, and with almost every man in the company working in the piece, they were all helping each other with the task.

Recently I was at a performance of Alvin Ailey where the tattoos on one of the dancers were so large that it was distracting.

Funny; every few days or so it looks as if there has been a new post here; but then there has not.

-d-

I don't like it, it looks distracting and very inappropriate. For ballet, the body is a piece of art. Ulyana Lopatkina would't be the same as she danced the dying swan with a tattoo on her shoulder. I don't care if they have it, but they definitely should conceal it.

Funny; every few days or so it looks as if there has been a new post here; but then there has not.

-d-

Because it's a poll thread, every time someone votes, it gets logged as a "New Post." It's a quirk of the software.

Thank you, Helene! :) That makes sense.

-d-