This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Who are the most (verbally) articulate dancers?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

Thanks, jayeldee, for bumpong up this thread. Shearer, definitely, belongs on our list.

I started re-reading the earlier posts and found that a number of posters mentioned Violette Verdy. Coincidentally, I had just read her contribution to the I REMEMBER BALANCHINE compendium. It sparkles with life, energy and intelligence. Not unlike the way she danced.

#62 jayeldee

jayeldee

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

And thank YOU, bart, for acknowledging my post! Nice to know someone's listening! ... I'll have to look up Verdy, too: your description of her writing is very much akin to my impression of Miss Shearer: she "sparkled [good word, that] with life, energy and intelligence." (Unfortunately, my passion for ballet only came to fruition after the lady had passed. Else, I think I'd've moved heaven and earth to have somehow communicated my admiration to her. As it is, I have to settle for being haunted by her splendid spirit, all unbeknownst to her..... )

(Hmmm...I sound eerily smitten..... Well: I am.)

#63 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

jayeldee, have you had the chance to use the Search engine at the top of each page? If you look for "Shearer" in "Forums" you'll find many threads. Some of course just mention her name. But others talk about her extensively, and a few include photos from rg. Here's an example of a longish thread:

http://balletalert.i...__fromsearch__1

Here is an example of a thread with a couple of photos from rg's collection.

http://balletalert.i...__fromsearch__1

#64 jayeldee

jayeldee

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Yes, bart--and thank you once again! It was Shearer that originally drove me here, a year or so ago--and I think I found most of the posts regarding her (and printed out a judicious selection thereof). But I'll have another look, in response to your very kind personal Alert. Everything's always worth a re-read, in any event.

But do you wish, as I do, that there were more of her, available on video? As it is, it seems we have to settle for the films in which she appeared--quite nearly all of which, by my estimation, are "redeemed" only by her presence (including "The Red Shoes", which I think is a generally dreadful movie, overall--especially in its theme, which is pessimistic and uninspiring in the extreme; which theme I take to be: "Art and Life are fundamentally incompatible." In point of fact, that "message" is the total opposite of the truth--and a horrid one to convey, especially via the medium of art!) ... I have, and have seen, everything with Moira that's available--including "The Man Who Loved Redheads" and "A Simple Man"--but where is footage of her in performance with the British ballet companies??? There's nothing, that I know of. (But then, too, I'm nowhere near the archives in New York--and what may exist there, I've no idea.) ... I also wish, as I previously mentioned, that some publisher would see fit to issue a collection of her newspaper writings.... Finally, and also in the Extreme Frustrations Department, there is a listing at both Amazon.com and Blackwell's Books, of a paperback number entitled "Moira Shearer", supposedly penned by her late husband, Ludovic Kennedy; it even has an ISBN--9780719561764, and a publisher (John Murray Ltd.), and a publication date (01 Jan 2011); but it (if it exists) remains unavailable, to date!! Figure that one out (and please let me know, if you do!). Sighhhhh....

Thank you again. And all the best to you.

#65 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'm rather surprised (unless if I have glossed over a post mentioning her) that Tamara Rojo hasn't been named in this thread. I have always found her to be remarkably intelligent and articulate. I have loved hearing about her passions for Kenneth MacMillan's choreography and why his ballets mean so much to her. She also had some rather blunt feelings toward the film Black Swan which she had no reservations in expressing!

#66 Kerry1968

Kerry1968

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:23 PM

Is Ulyana Lopatkina extremely articulate?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):