This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Moira Shearer

these two scans of photos of Shearer are somewhat unusual in that they document her in something besides THE RED SHOES, which has been 'pictured' to death.

both are undated.

the headshot is a publicity photo for the Old Vic Company's production of Shakespeare's A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, which stared Shearer as Titania and Robert Helpmann as Oberon and Stanley Holloway as Bottom and which toured to the States under Hurok's aegis.

the photocard has no credit or information other than Shearer's name and "Giselle Act II"

each caught me eye for the way it catches aspects of Shearer's striking, theatrical authority.

post-848-1251404829_thumb.jpg

post-848-1251405167_thumb.jpg

Thank your for these, rg. Interesting that both she and Vivien Leigh played Titania opposite Helpmann, and she looks very like the photographs of Leigh in the role.

I remember her saying in an interview that she always enjoyed dancing Giselle although she wasn’t considered really appropriate for the role – red hair, you know. :speechless-smiley-003:

thanks, J.

odd that the card was allowed to be published w/o due photo credit.

also i could probably find this too, but if you could identify the designer of the production's costuming (and thus the lovely wings) w/o going through too much trouble, i'd be much obliged.

thanks, J.

odd that the card was allowed to be published w/o due photo credit.

also i could probably find this too, but if you could identify the designer of the production's costuming (and thus the lovely wings) w/o going through too much trouble, i'd be much obliged.

I am inclined to agree with Jane that the photo is by Maurice Seymour as Baron rarely used such strong contrast.

The production dates from 12 June 1946 and choreography is credited to Perrot, Coralli and Marius Petipa. The designs were by James Bailey. Miss Shearer danced Moyna on the first night.

The costume, wings and all are virtually identical to the Sadlers Wells "Les Sylphides " a photograph of which appears in Baron at the Ballet and I would put the date of the card around 1948-1950.

From Dame Margot Fonteyn to Dame Beryl Grey and Miss Shearer wings were worn in this production.