This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Newly emailed (finally) 

2024–25 Dance Series:

Complexions Ballet - September 20, 2024

Sergio Bernal Dance Company - November 9, 2024

Martha Graham Dance Company - January 18, 2025

Alonzo King LINES Ballet - February 7, 2025

Twyla Tharp 60th Anniversary - February 15–16, 2025

American Ballet Theatre’s The Winter’s Tale - April 3–6, 2025

Ballet Folklorico de Mexico - March 22, 2025

Miami City Ballet’s Swan Lake - June 19–22, 2025

Bonus option:

American Ballet Theatre’s The Nutcracker - December 12–24, 2024

I didn't realize ABT was going to dive into Wheeldon's Winter's Tale? So that's two new productions next year alongside Crime and Punishment? 

Also, the Dorothy Chandler in LA will have Boston Ballet's Swan Lake literally the week after Miami City's SL. That's...a lot back to back, but I guess they think there will be enough audience.

I just saw the announcement a few minutes ago as well. At last!  I was told about The Winter's Tale last February and am glad to see it confirmed. It is a beautiful ballet.  I saw it in May danced by The Royal Ballet. 

Is the Swan Lake by Miami Ballet Ratmansky's version? 

Swan Lake performed by Miami City Ballet at Segerstrom Center. O.C.:  June 19-22, 2025

Swan Lake performed by Boston Ballet at the L.A. Music Center: the following weekend, June 26-29, 2025

There is some overlap in attendees. 

For those who have seen the ballet live or filmed, what is the Winter's Tale like? Is it dancing-heavy or more mime-heavy as with Like Water for Chocolate? Is it recommended for someone who didn't like Like Water for Chocolate, or is it different enough? It's likely going to be at the 2025 Met season so I'm just thinking ahead... 

Posted (edited)

Yay! I've been waiting for this announcement.

Delighted about Miami City Ballet. I've never seen Swan Lake live before, and having the live orchestra is a plus! Also pleasantly surprised by ABT doing Winter's Tale. I have to admit, I'm ready for them to be done with the "west coast premieres" but if we must have them I don't mind The Winter's Tale. It seems like an interesting ballet, and the sets look absolutely incredible.

Overall, looks like an interesting season! Though I'm still hoping they'll bring La Scala Ballet back someday to make good on the Onegin that didn't happen due to covid.

Here's some links from the Royal Ballet's production for anyone interested:

Edited by balletenthusiast22
for clearer wording

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, matilda said:

For those who have seen the ballet live or filmed, what is the Winter's Tale like? Is it dancing-heavy or more mime-heavy as with Like Water for Chocolate? Is it recommended for someone who didn't like Like Water for Chocolate, or is it different enough? It's likely going to be at the 2025 Met season so I'm just thinking ahead... 

There is a lot of dancing and a lot of quasi-mime (tons of hand gestures). Honestly, it depends a great deal on the dancers to invest the choreography with meaning that isn't necessarily inherent to it. I don't care for Joby Talbot's score; it's like the musical equivalent of toxic positivity. The ballet can come across as twee, but with the right dancers, it can work. Also, the stage and lighting effects do not work equally well from every vantage point. I wish I could tell you what the ideal viewing position is.

Added: On second thought, I found the group dances very hokey, so success depends on an excellent Hermione and a Leontes who resists the temptation to overact. Otherwise you get 45 minutes of monotone ranting and raving.

Edited by volcanohunter

I will be one of the overlapped attendees at multiple shows of each company, Josette, but I would appreciate a bit more variety! I get it--it's the big money maker, but you would guess other big classical ballets would accomplish similar ticket sales. Poor planning on both of their parts. I am interested in seeing the Ratmansky SL in full, though. 

I watched a streamed production of the Royal's TWT a few years ago and remember the second act having a lot of dancing. That part is very pastoral, so lends itself to more pure dance numbers. I am looking forward to seeing it live, at least, more than I was for Like Water...

Would love to see La Scala again if they were able to work that out.

I saw Winter's Tale a couple of times in 2014 when it premiered. I remember liking the second act best, as it had more dancing. But overall the narrative was confusing -- although that was probably my fault. It's currently on the Royal Ballet streaming service. It seems to be fairly popular with Royal Ballet audiences, as it keeps reappearing on their schedule. 

4 hours ago, Josette said:

I just saw the announcement a few minutes ago as well. At last!  I was told about The Winter's Tale last February and am glad to see it confirmed. It is a beautiful ballet.  I saw it in May danced by The Royal Ballet. 

Is the Swan Lake by Miami Ballet Ratmansky's version? 

Yes! It's the Ratmansky reconstruction.  Worth seeing, for sure. I'm glad they are getting more mileage out of the production (especially as La Scala seems to have reverted to its more "traditional" version).  https://www.scfta.org/shows-events/dance-series

Miami City Ballet's Swan Lake

June 19-22, 2025

The world’s most mesmerizing ballet is being performed by Miami City Ballet in a captivating version by one of the most brilliant choreographers of our time, Alexei Ratmansky. With more than 50 dancers adorning the stage in lush and glittering costumes, and Tchaikovsky’s moving and joyful music played live by Pacific Symphony, Swan Lake will set your heart alight.

5 hours ago, matilda said:

It's beautiful, much better than Like Water for Chocolate, though I very much enjoyed The Royal Ballet in LWFC.