This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Twyla Tharp at the Joyce (with Cornejo, Ulbricht and Trenary)

(New York, New York—January 18, 2024) -- The Joyce Theater Foundation (Linda Shelton, Executive Director) welcomes the return of one of the century's most iconic and acclaimed artists, the trailblazing Twyla Tharp. Presenting a program of two world premieres and one classic work, her sensational company of dancers, Twyla Tharp Dance, will play The Joyce Theater from February 13-25. Tickets, ranging in price from $12-$82 (including fees), can be purchased at www.Joyce.org, or by calling JoyceCharge at 212-242-0800. Please note: ticket prices are subject to change. The Joyce Theater is located at 175 Eighth Avenue at West 19th Street. For more information, please visit www.Joyce.org.

With her signature wit, technical precision, and joyful ease, Twyla Tharp continues to expand her artistic range in her seventh decade of dance as her eponymous company returns to the legendary Joyce Theater. The boundary-breaking dancemaker will put her celebrated creative vision on full display with a pair of world premieres. The remarkable artists of her company, Twyla Tharp Dance, will also take on a classic work from the choreographer's extensive repertoire, once again proving that the artistry of this world-renowned master of movement knows no bounds. The world premieres include Brel, a solo set to music by Jacques Brel and performed on alternating performances by Herman Cornejo and Daniel Ulbricht, and The Ballet Master, set to music by Simeon ten Holt and Vivaldi and performed by Miriam Gittens, Daisy Jacobson, John Selya, Reed Tankersley, Jake Tribus, Cassandra Trenary, and Daniel Ulbricht. The new works will be complimented by Ocean's Motion (1975), set to music by Chuck Berry and performed by Miriam Gittens, Daisy Jacobson, Skye Mattox, Reed Tankersley, and Jake Tribus.

Visit the Joyce website for information regarding the dates that Cornejo is performing the Brel solo. 

I just saw the Twyla Tharp show at the Joyce. Anyone else see it?  Tharp always has fine dancers, even though at this point she uses pick up companies, and today was no exception. The dancers were wonderful individually and collectively.  The first piece from 1975, was Ocean's Motions, to Chuck  Berry songs. I found it to be an enjoyable but undistinguished romp. Well put together, of course, but not particularly inventive in any way. There was a sameness through-out that made me think the piece could have ended after any song. 

Next a new solo, Brel (music by Jacques Brel). Shows alternate between Cornejo and Ulbricht. I saw Ulbricht and he was great. He was tremendously musical, and easily moved from drama to humor and back, in a piece that mixes virtuoso ballet steps with the Twyla-isms of sudden bursts of turned-in footwork, looses joints, swinging arms and casual theatricality.

I thoroughly enjoyed the final piece, The Ballet Master.  John Selya was the ballet master/Don Quixote. Ulbricht his assistant/Sancho Panza, Cassandra Trenary inspiration/Dulcinea, along with other dancer/characters. Don Q searching for his impossible dream. The dancers looked great in the  showy choreography. The piece was funny and worked really well theatrically. I was reminded of what a wonderful dancer  Cassandra Trenary is. She combines clarity with a full and fluid movement quality. She looks so fabulous in Tharp's choreography, that it makes me wonder what she'll do post ABT.

A fun afternoon!

9 minutes ago, vipa said:

I just saw the Twyla Tharp show at the Joyce. Anyone else see it?  Tharp always has fine dancers, even though at this point she uses pick up companies, and today was no exception. The dancers were wonderful individually and collectively.  The first piece from 1975, was Ocean's Motions, to Chuck  Berry songs. I found it to be an enjoyable but undistinguished romp. Well put together, of course, but not particularly inventive in any way. There was a sameness through-out that made me think the piece could have ended after any song. 

Next a new solo, Brel (music by Jacques Brel). Shows alternate between Cornejo and Ulbricht. I saw Ulbricht and he was great. He was tremendously musical, and easily moved from drama to humor and back, in a piece that mixes virtuoso ballet steps with the Twyla-isms of sudden bursts of turned-in footwork, looses joints, swinging arms and casual theatricality.

I thoroughly enjoyed the final piece, The Ballet Master.  John Selya was the ballet master/Don Quixote. Ulbricht his assistant/Sancho Panza, Cassandra Trenary inspiration/Dulcinea, along with other dancer/characters. Don Q searching for his impossible dream. The dancers looked great in the  showy choreography. The piece was funny and worked really well theatrically. I was reminded of what a wonderful dancer  Cassandra Trenary is. She combines clarity with a full and fluid movement quality. She looks so fabulous in Tharp's choreography, that it makes me wonder what she'll do post ABT.

A fun afternoon!

This sounds very fun. The first time I saw Trenary in a featured role (one of the solos in the shades scene of Bayadere) she showed the fluid movement quality you mention.

I saw the program.  For me the highlight was Brel.  I saw the performance that featured Cornejo.  I hope this work can be seen by more people , or that Tharp will loan it out to either ABT or NYCB.  It is worth multiple viewings and has great depth.  

The other two works on the program were enjoyable, but not masterworks in the Tharp canon.  

Leigh Witchel reviews the show for dancelog.nyc.

It’s marvelous that Ulbricht got to sink his teeth into Brel. He never gets something this juicy at New York City Ballet; his physique, which isn’t long, slots him as the sidekick, the supporting character. If the work traded on jukebox clichés, he still couldn’t ask for a more flattering solo.